ArcHydro: Assign Stream Slope Runs Excessively long, does not populate FromElev & ToElev

05-01-2019 06:08 AM
Labels (1)
KellyDooley
New Contributor

I'm in the process of delineating our MS4 service area (area that drains to regulated outfalls) within our county. I've successfully cleaned up our stormwater infrastructure network, and reconditioned the DEM with streams and ditches (all overland flow patterns), and leveled the DEM with water bodies.

What I did, was clean up the network, then combine all edges and nodes, and assigned hydroids, generate from/to nodes, and populated nextdownid. Then I selected all streams, exported to new gdb, and new feature dataset. Selected all ditches, exported to same gdb, and same feature dataset, etc. I used those streams and ditches to recondition DEM in two separate processes, because I wanted the ditches to be more narrow in width than the streams. I combined streams and ditches to be used in the assign stream slope function. (These new feature classes will only be used for DEM reconditioning)

I ran it for 25 hours, with Max elevation set to 10000, and elevation drop set to 10. I then cancelled the operation, and the FromElev and ToElev fields were not populated.

I had originally used the ArcHydro toolbar in a map document, and last night I ran it through ArcToolbox, thinking that might make a difference. I came in this morning to find that it did not complete, but no error kicked back, or any messages on why it failed. My Geoprocessing -> Results window does not give me any information for processes I ran yesterday (not sure why).

There are other lines in my network besides the streams and ditches...Mains and connector lines. The mains I obviously don't want burned into my DEM, and my connector lines are just to maintain connectivity when we aren't sure exactly HOW the features are connected, but know that it flows that direction. Could my fromnode and tonode fields be throwing it off, because it can't find the downstream line?

Why would it take archydro so long to populate these fields?

Does anyone have any insight?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor

This step is not needed anymore. Create Drainage Line Structures and Adjust Flow Direction in Streams will ensure that the water flows in the correct direction. You can check the Stormwater document to see the workflow.

Christine Dartiguenave

Esri Water Resources Team

0 Kudos