How to best prepare for the 2018 ESRI User Conference as a student assistant?

Jump to solution
06-09-2018 07:35 AM
MatthewTsui
New Contributor

Hi!

I have been granted the exciting the opportunity to be a 2018 ESRI User Conference student assistant! I want to make sure that I prepare effectively to make the most of this professional development opportunity. A few things come to mind: such as prepare copies of your resume, business cards and a week's worth of professional clothes.

Are there any other ways I can prepare?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShelbyConnors
Occasional Contributor

1) Make sure you speak to the recruiting team in the expo, the team in charge of the assistants will ask who wants an appointment so tell them yes, but also follow up with recruiting directly if you're interested in a job.

2) Bring a set of interview clothes, but for the rest of the time you only need business casual attire, no suit jackets when you're running around helping to prepare things and info sessions. 

3) Bring swim attire and make sure you give yourself a chance to explore outside of the expo hall. 

4) Don't go in the pool at the party, unless you want to be that person.

5) There will be lunch but make sure you eat breakfast at the hotel and bring a snack or two in case you miss the lunch rush, you will get hungry. 

6) Connect with as many people as you can, especially if you get time to walk around the expo and you find a booth of people doing what you want to do. 

7) Look at the info sessions ahead of time so that if you really want to go to one you can arrange it with your working schedule. 

😎 Don't forget your fellow assistants, you just might see them again one day, perhaps on campus in Redlands for an internship  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What are the duties of a student assistant at the conference?  I would address those first

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Good shoes! You'll be on your feet a lot, and when you have any time off at the conference you will be doing a lot of walking!

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor
ShelbyConnors
Occasional Contributor

1) Make sure you speak to the recruiting team in the expo, the team in charge of the assistants will ask who wants an appointment so tell them yes, but also follow up with recruiting directly if you're interested in a job.

2) Bring a set of interview clothes, but for the rest of the time you only need business casual attire, no suit jackets when you're running around helping to prepare things and info sessions. 

3) Bring swim attire and make sure you give yourself a chance to explore outside of the expo hall. 

4) Don't go in the pool at the party, unless you want to be that person.

5) There will be lunch but make sure you eat breakfast at the hotel and bring a snack or two in case you miss the lunch rush, you will get hungry. 

6) Connect with as many people as you can, especially if you get time to walk around the expo and you find a booth of people doing what you want to do. 

7) Look at the info sessions ahead of time so that if you really want to go to one you can arrange it with your working schedule. 

😎 Don't forget your fellow assistants, you just might see them again one day, perhaps on campus in Redlands for an internship