Can I add a raster Geotif to an AGO map?

10-06-2017 07:32 PM
MartinSchmidt3
New Contributor II

Is there a way to add a raster GeoTif to ArcGIS Online?  The data is from NASA Earth Observations, and works fine in desktop and Pro but I can't see a way to add it to AGO.  Though added to My Content, it does not show up in a search for layers, and has no URL to add.  Thanks for the help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Martin, did you simply "add the data into your content as a file" or "publish it as a layer"? Images get treated differently from vector data. When you are in Pro, are you able to publish it as a layer? How big is the image? (GeoTifs can be pretty huge by themselves.)

0 Kudos
MartinSchmidt3
New Contributor II

Charlie -

The file is small, on purpose, only 42KB. Originally I did add it as an image, since that's the only choices in Add Item to the Org; I guess users just have to know (learn) that's not the method to add an image layer. Perhaps it would be a useful addition to the help file to explain adding images.
So I went to Pro and created a layer .lynx file and uploaded that to the org, where it lists as a Layer rather than an Image. But its Details page does not include Add to Map, and on an AGO map I can't get it to show up in Search for Layers to add it. Same results if I get Pro to directly upload a Layer Package file to the Org - still doesn't show up in Search for Layers so I can't add it to an existing map; Detalis page for the package has an option for Add to Desktop, but not to AGO map. In the Org, if I choose Create >> Feature Layer >> from existing layer, the layer does not show among the choices.
What should I try next? Is there a source of instructions for what I want to do? Thanks.

0 Kudos
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Images are typically added as RASTER TILE LAYERS. See in AGO Help (which is typically very complete)

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/tile-layers.htm 

0 Kudos