Select to view content in your preferred language

X-Ray for ArcCatalog turning apostrophes into spaces

02-21-2014 04:11 AM
Labels (1)
MarkJohnson
Deactivated User
I am new to using the X-Ray tool but it seems to be replacing apostrophes from any Description items I write in Excel with spaces.  I do Edit > Datasets... and fill in the Description cells in Excel.  If I put something in like Mark's rating and then import the XML to a FGDB and look at the metadata it reads Mark s rating.  If I update the XML from the FGDB and Edit > Datasets... again it appears as Mark s rating in Excel.  I tried using two apostrophes (Mark''s) in case it was some kind of escape character thing in Excel but that just turns into 2 spaces.

ArcGIS 10.2 (no SP)
Excel 2007
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RyanKelso
Frequent Contributor
I noticed this too.  jmward made a post a couple of days ago about how importing the LGIM schema into a new geodatabase turns out a large number of differences when you "Analyze Differences" between the new and old GDB with XRay.  When I imported LGIM schema with XRay and ran the differences tool myself, I also had a large number of differences but I noticed that the vast majority of them are simply missing apostrophes.

I tried exporting and importing an XML workspace document using geoprocessing tools rather than XRay and it did transfer the apostrophes correctly this way, but this doesn't allow you to change the spatial reference.
0 Kudos