Select to view content in your preferred language

MasterStreetName Table 10.2 Questions

08-01-2014 02:01 PM
Labels (1)
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I have not used the Local Government Information Model (LGIM) previously but I have downloaded the 10.2 version and see that the Road Name component fields include two fields named ROADPREMOD and ROADPOSTMOD that are surrounding the Road Pre Direction, Road Base Name, Road Type, and Road Post Direction components.  The data dictionary defines ROADPREMOD as "A word or phrase in a road name that precedes and modifies the Road Name, but is separated from it by a Road Name Pre Type or a Road Name Pre Directional or both."  The definition for ROADPOSTMOD is essentially identical, but it appears after a Type and Post Direction.  What are examples of values that would be expected or used in the ROADPREMOD and ROADPOSTMOD fields?

It also looks like previous versions of the LGIM had a Road Name Pre Type field.  I think was named either ROADPRETYPE or maybe ROADPREFIX and was located between the Road Pre Direction and Road Base Name fields.  That field no longer appears in the 10.2 version.  The DataDictionary.htm file defines the ROADPREDIR field with an Alias Name, Description and Domain that seem to be messed up and actually are appropriate for the deleted Road Name Pre Type field.  The actual design of the ROADPREDIR field is restricted to permitting Road Pre Direction values.  The ROADPREMOD description also references a Road Pre Type value despite the fact that the field for it doesn't exist anymore.  Was the Road Name Pre Type deleted intentionally?

I also am curious whether I am supposed to follow Locator style conventions religiously with these component fields or if I am supposed to follow street name meanings and local conventions for what abbreviations are to be used.  For example, the base road name used by a Locator for West Point Dr is Point and for North Star Ln is Star, but in terms of road name meaning and the way I want them to appear the base road names are "West Point" (the military academy) and "North Star" (the stellar reference star).  Must I include the locator version of the name as an alternate name to ensure a locator will find this road?.

Finally,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I have two other questions.  Do I have to use the Municipality field in the Master Street Name table?  There are several road names that are used by multiple municipalities in the data I maintain and I don't really want to repeat the name in the table to show it tied to just one municipality.  What are the conventions I should follow when multiple municipalities use the same street name?

Second, is there a locator that uses all of the components of the 10.2 MasterStreetName table with slots predefined for these field names and only slots for these field names (just 6 components with no Road Name Pre Type)?

0 Kudos