Select to view content in your preferred language

Construct a new parcel with a natural boundary

02-24-2014 09:03 AM
Labels (1)
RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III
I'm using parcel fabric (10.1) and I've got a parcel with very poor accuracy that has a natural boundary (river).  I'd like to delete it and construct a new parcel to replace it.  The problem with this is, the survey has a basis of bearing which you can't apply when building a new parcel.  So if I enter the lines off the survey then digitize the river boundary off an ortho as a line string, the river boundary gets improperly rotated when I rotate the parcel during the join process.  This is obviously not the right way to do this, what would be a better way?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
Hello again rkelso,

Have you tried the basis of bearing tool?

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00wp00000078000000

Chris Buscaglia
0 Kudos
RyanKelso
Well, I am trying to build a completely new parcel after deleting the inaccurate one, in this case the basis of bearing tool can't be used (it's grayed out).  The survey I have uses true north, my coordinate system uses grid north, there is a rotation I can't account for when constructing a new parcel and trying to digitize the natural boundary with a line string off an ortho photo projected in my map.

I tried creating a new parent parcel (a quarter-quarter section) and then constructing from parent so I could use the basis of bearing tool.  I constructed new lines from the survey then digitized the natural boundary with a line string, using snapping so the parcel's closure was perfect.  Everything looked good when I built the new parcel, but when I open it, there is a misclose.  Not sure what is going on there.

Ryan
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
Well, I am trying to build a completely new parcel after deleting the inaccurate one, in this case the basis of bearing tool can't be used (it's grayed out).  The survey I have uses true north, my coordinate system uses grid north, there is a rotation I can't account for when constructing a new parcel and trying to digitize the natural boundary with a line string off an ortho photo projected in my map.

I tried creating a new parent parcel (a quarter-quarter section) and then constructing from parent so I could use the basis of bearing tool.  I constructed new lines from the survey then digitized the natural boundary with a line string, using snapping so the parcel's closure was perfect.  Everything looked good when I built the new parcel, but when I open it, there is a misclose.  Not sure what is going on there.

Ryan

Interesting, by snapping do you mean digitizing?  If you simply digitized, I would agree with you that you shouldn't see mis-close for the resulting parcels.  Can you submit a incident for this and submit the parent parcel as a Cadastral XML?

Chris
0 Kudos
RyanKelso
Interesting, by snapping do you mean digitizing?  If you simply digitized, I would agree with you that you shouldn't see mis-close for the resulting parcels.  Can you submit a incident for this and submit the parent parcel as a Cadastral XML?

Chris

Yes, I was digitizing the river centerline/natural boundary as a line-string, snapping from the last segment added via the construction grid back to the point of beginning.  Upon creation, the parcel has no mis-close, but it appears to me that when a parcel has a rotation value and a line-string, opening the parcel somehow distorts the line-string thus "breaking" the closure.  I submitted an incident before you replied here, but I will make sure to add a cadastral XML.
0 Kudos
RyanKelso
In case anybody else encounters this issue, there is a bug where a parcel's rotation value is not being applied to a line string.  The workaround is to use multiple regular two-point lines instead of line strings, but hopefully this will be fixed soon as line strings are ideal for natural boundaries.
0 Kudos