Can I map election results with precincts?

04-22-2015 05:55 PM
Labels (1)
IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I want to map a congressional district election result. Can i do it with precincts or can it only be based off zip codes? Also, where can I get the file for precincts to create a layer in the map? This is for an LA County race. I haven't mapped in a while and will appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

And, I think you can map these results anyway you need to. What layer contains your election result data?

IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

Hi Sephe and Sol,

I gather the precinct election results from this website: Precinct Maps by District.

When I download and open the file, it does not have any FIPS column or anything of that sort.  However, It does sort the precinct by number. Will that be enough?  I appreciate your help.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Maybe I'm missing something, but I only see PDF precinct maps at that link, which are unusable in ArcGIS. Maybe try some of the links that Sol or I posted. So, you don't have any election result data at all yet? Your original question gave the impression that you had that data by zip code, but you wanted to analyze it across a different boundary. Sometimes it's hard to communicate by text though!

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps a better questions is: which specific election results are you after?

0 Kudos
IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

My apologies, I posted the wrong link.  I am getting the data from this site https://www.lavote.net/home/voting-elections/election-resources/past-elections/past-election-results... . I then click on "Nov. 4 General Election" --> Statement of Votes Cast Excel Format.  That will download a file with the election result by precincts in each election.  That is the file I am using for the election results.  Is that data usable?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

​sure! Absolutely. If you go to the link I posted, you can download the precinct shapefile. Bring that and your excel table into arcgis, and then right click the shapefile in the table of contents and select join. Join the excel table to the shapefile using the precinct number. Now you have a visual display of precincts with joined election results. Have a go and get back to us if you run into problems.

IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

Great, I've added both the shapefile and the excel file onto arcmap. The county map appears once I added the shapefile. I also added and joined the excel file. This is where I hit a road block...Once I add the and join the excel file with the shapefile, I do not know the next steps to create the visual display of precincts. I do apologize ahead of time for bothering with so many questions, but i truly appreciate your help.

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Well, how would YOU like to display the information? As labels with numbers? As a color gradient with a legend key? Different sized symbols to represent smaller or larger numbers? Maybe google some examples if you're not sure. Once you decide, I can help you get it done.