Select to view content in your preferred language

Append Cadastral XML file to parcel fabric

03-19-2014 08:00 PM
Labels (1)
JeffWard
Regular Contributor II
Hi,

I am attempting to append a cadastral xml file to a parcel fabric.  What is the process for that?  I use the Append File.. choice in the Parcel Fabric menu, the parcel loads with the join dialog active.  When I attempt to add join links, it gives me an error like "Create join link failed: To create a join link, select 2 points or select a point and a line (no curve)."

If I just click OK without adding any join links, it places the parcel in the correct spot, but is it joined correctly?  The help page for this lacks any kind of instructions or direction.

Thanks,
Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Jeff.  That error is what pops up if you try to create a join link on a curve, which isn't allowed.  If you try to create a link between two regular boundary points, does that work?  If you constructed your parcel in its correct space but joined it without any links, then it's probably just floating there without being topologically connected to the surrounding parcels, albeit in the right place.  So you'll want to rejoin it and establish the links.  Also, after choosing Append File... if you just click Close, the parcel will come in as unjoined if that's ever something you'd want to do.
0 Kudos
JeffWard
Regular Contributor II
Thanks for the reply Ryan.  The points I am trying to join are not part of a curve, but they are the connection lines to the POB.  I am working with an empty parcel fabric, so there aren't any surrounding parcels to join to yet.  So the only points I am joining to are the control points.  The reason I am appending lots in the first place, is because I started in a 10.1 copy of the LGIM, and I upgraded to 10.2 so I am trying to port over the few tax parcels that I had completed in the older version.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III
Hmm, I tried doing what you're describing and didn't have trouble creating a join link between a control point and the beginning point of an Origin Connection to POB line.  It even populated the Associated Network PointID on the control point.  The only time I could get that error you mentioned to pop up was trying to create a link on the POB connector line (a line point) to the control point.

If you join the parcel without any links and it's placed in the right spot, you could then match the control point to the parcel point.  I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with that, but hopefully one of the esri folks or anyone with more experience with this than I will chime in here.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
0 Kudos