Address Locator that Geocodes to Unit Level

08-23-2013 09:48 AM
ChrisRumig
New Contributor III
Hi,

Wondering if anyone on this planet has a Single House With Unit Locator that works or that can help with this one?

We recently switched to the Local Government address model which has been great.  However, now it would be nice to have an address locator that could geocode to the unit level.

I read (although I didn�??t understand it all ) the ESRI Geocoding Technical paper �??Customizing Locators in ArcGIS 10 and used it as a guide to customize the Single House with Unit locator style that has been posted in the forums in the past.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/28535-Geocoding-Addresses-with-Apartment-Units?highlight=Single+Hou...

I downloaded the locator style file found at the link above and was able to customize it so that the field mapping is done for users.  The geocoder works.  However the scoring seems to be messed up.

For example, a record like V6-550 King St N is matching to B11-550 King St N and the score assigned to the record is 100.  How can it be an exact match if the records aren�??t 100% alike.  As well, a record like 200 Jamieson Pky (which is a main address for an apartment building) is matching to 108-200 Jamieson Pky (one of the apartment units).  There is a record for 200 Jamieson Pky in the Addresses featureclass.

For some background�?�.our addresses where a unit number is present are formatted in the following way:
A-123 Frederick St
12-150 Frederick St

(The UnitNumber is stored in its own field �?? as can be seen from screenshot below).  In some cases the unit is a qualifier such as [A-Z] or ½.  In those cases the qualifier has been placed in the AddressNumber field and those records geocode with no problems.

Attached is the locator that I've modified for the field mappings.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AllisonMuise
New Contributor III
Hi Chris,

Is your locator based on the locator from post #22 of that thread (or later)? It appears that this issue was resolved in that version, although success with the locator seems to vary depending on the structure of your data (post #49).

If you are still having this issue, I suggest reply directly to to the ongoing thread in the geocoding forum. There seem to be some knowledgeable people following it, as well as others who are trying to do similar things. If you continue to have trouble with the scoring, Support may be able to help you verify that the locator is set up correctly.

-Allison
0 Kudos
DanMcCoy
Occasional Contributor III
Please join me in my crusade to get this added to the core product:
http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=08730000000by67

Thanks!

Dan
0 Kudos