Select to view content in your preferred language

select polylines with same field name as points layer

09-18-2014 04:50 PM
DanielBrenner
Occasional Contributor

I am primarily trying to do this in Geomedia Professional but ArcGIS is my "native" GIS language so here goes.   I did a version of what I want in Geomedia but the result was screwy.   The main reason I'm posting on this board is to learn what are the same types of commands or tools I need to use in Geomedia.

I have a points layer of all the locations where a streets layer intersected a polygon.   The points layer has the same street name field as  the streets layer. 

I ultimately want to create a streets layer of all the streets that intersect the polygons.   I have thought one way to do this is using a Field Equation of Street Name (points layer) = Street Name (polyline layer).     However I can't seem to figure out the correct syntax for a field equation in the points layer, and even if I add a text field for Field Equations, it gives me numbers in the field automatically??!   I thought you could Select by Points?   I did see there's an Extract By Points function in ArcTool Box but you need a Network Analyst license to do it and we don't have one.

In Geomedia, the Join Functionality allows you to do exactly what I want (use street field names from both layers) but it ends up giving me more street segements than are actually intersecting the polygons.  Bizarre.

I've attached some Jpgs of what happened in Geomedia.

Thanks,

Dan B

11 Replies
DanielBrenner
Occasional Contributor

Sephe:

I actually was able towork out the issues I was having before. It had to

do with a Geomedia Transportation Manager-specific functionality I didn't

know when was going to be fixed/activated. The specific functionality (LRS

Calibration? I believe?) was fixed recently, and things fell into place

(proper Postmile/Odometer Values).

I still have bigger needs based on the layer I have been able to create,

but I have had to put it aside based on other job requirements.

DO YOU have specific experience in Geomedia 6.1? Transportation Manager?

If you do, you might be able to help out.

Tell me more about your specific experience with Geomedia.

Dan Brenner

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

No, I have no experience with Geomedia. This is an ESRI forum, and so you might be looking in the wrong place for Geomedia experts. I'm going to go ahead and mark your question as answered for now, since you say you have resolved your issues.

0 Kudos