Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating a REUSABLE set of Aliases for a Shapefile

11-15-2017 01:15 PM
DanielBrenner
Occasional Contributor

This is somewhat unique but the concept probably isn't given that we can do a Symbol Feature class or even a set of labels that we can use repetitively.

I created a set of shapefiles from data that gets updated fairly frequently.   I export the same shapefiles to a KMZ file as often as they are updated, but before I do, I have to turn off Fields in the Properties function for the shapefile and then apply a set of Aliases as repetitively as the files are updated.  

How can I avoid having to do the same procedure?   Is there a way I can create a set of aliases that I can access from Properties for the same fields?

I know that part of the problem is that when I use Table to dbase I have to eliminate all spaces and so I need to use underscores, which means that even if I had the correct field names in the spreadsheet I would still have to edit them in the Properties window.    Is there a way to do a Find and Replace in Properties for all the underscores? 

The main thing is how to make the process work with a consistent use of the correct fields to get the final product.

Thanks,

Daniel Brenner

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

You have a whole bunch of confusing and contradicting statements... So you export from shapefile to KMZ, you then talk about table to dbase tool, if you did that then you would never be able to display it in KMZ? Finally you make reference to a spreadsheet storing details.

Despite all this confusion it sounds like you want to be using model builder to automate the updates, suggest you look at Alter Field tool.

0 Kudos