average of ice edge lines (distance from coast)

Jump to solution
01-25-2016 01:54 PM
AarielRocha1
New Contributor III

I have developed landfast sea ice extents that can be visualized as polygons, lines or rasters.  Now I need to calculate monthly and yearly averages and it is much more difficult to create an average line from a set of polylines than I had imagined. 

I first tried to use raster world and the Euclidean Distance tools to determine the distance from shore, but since the ice lines and the shoreline are so complex I needed a way to measure the distance from the same point on land or the averages are meaningless.

so, I developed a set of tangent lines and intersected them with my ice edge lines to get a set of points.  I have been able to use spatial join to get the distances from shore and then add field and field calculator to get average distances along each of my tangent lines.

My plan is to then plot the average distances for each tangent line as a point and then connect the points to show the 'average' of my original ice edge lines for each month and year.

I think that I need to use linear referencing tools to get past this latest hurdle, so I created routes from my set of tangent lines.  Now I need to create points that are my 'average distance' from shore but I am at a loss.  I have minimal experience scripting and would appreciate help using the geoprocessing tools in modelbuilder.

Thanks,

Aariel

20 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Very cool!

0 Kudos