Help with WMS Service Projections and Layer Files

08-13-2019 01:11 PM
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

I have a 3rd party software product (from Innovyze) that uses an ArcMap license to display mapping information in the map window (GeoPlan). I wish to bring in some base mapping that is published as a WMS service. To do this I have to create an ArcGIS layer file, and then use this layer file within the 3rd party product.

The problem is that I want the layer file to be in Irish Grid projection (so that it matches with my asset data), but by default the layer file is saved in GCS_WGS_1984 projection, so when loaded in to the 3rd party s/w, there is a displacement in how the base mapping is presented, compared to my asset data..

Th WMS base mapping service does support GCS_WGS_1984 and Irish Grid projections, and within ArcMap desktop I can 'Change Coordinate System' so that my base mapping is reprojected to Irish Grid - the projection of the data frame is set to Irish Grid, but the WMS service is still set to GCS_WGS_1984. When I save the WMS service as a layer file then bring this layer file into a new ArcMap session, the data frame defaults back to GCS_WGS_1984.

Q1: Is it mandatory that WMS services are published with GCS_WGS_1984 as the default projection? (If Irish Grid was the default projection then my layer file might work OK in the 3rd party s/w).

Q2: Assuming GCS_WGS_1984 must be the default projection is there a way of saving a layer file such that when the layer file is loaded in to a new ArcMap session, then the data frame is set to Irish Grid (which is one of the supported projections in the base mapping WMS service).

Grateful for any advice.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies