Road planning in steep terrain

05-24-2023 03:39 AM
TorkelH
New Contributor

I work with forest road-planning in steep terrain in western Norway. Often the question is to find a sufficient gradient line for the road. An old method to do this is to use a paper contour map and a geometric compass with the opening fixed to the distance between contours equaling a suitable road gradient, for example 15%. At a 5-meter contour interval the compass opening should be fixed at (5 meter / 15%) = 33,3 meter (divided to the actual map scale).

In ArcView 3 I had a tool called Pegger, where I could preset the gradient and start point and then place the cursor well ahead in the direction I wanted the road to go and click. For every click the tool made a line segment in the preset distance snapping it to the next contour line.

In ArcGIS Pro I can create a starting point and a line and push the "D"-button and set a fixed length for the segment. Then I can manually set the end at the next contour line, or probably snap it, but to continue I will need to repeat the procedure for every new line segment. 

Anyone know about a simple tool automatizing this task and/or preferably automatize further like snapping fixed length line segments to contours in a specific direction? 

0 Kudos
0 Replies