How to calculate the number of homestead picked during census.

09-06-2016 09:58 AM
ANTHONYGAKOBO
New Contributor

I am trying to develop an App using survey 123 for carrying out census. The app is supposed to add the homestead picked and the household size to give the total numbers for a numeration area. this should add up to a village etc.

the calculate field doesn't seem to have this supported, or I am not able to figure it.

Please help.

I attach the .xlsxform which I am working on here.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm afraid I don't understand your question well. What exactly do you want to calculate?

0 Kudos
ANTHONYGAKOBO
New Contributor

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for your concern over my problem. I want to automatically

calculate the homestead picked with survey 123 as geopoint in a village for

example. The application is for census, so was thinking if it can give the

total number of homesteads picked as the census progress is made.

Thanking you in advance,

Anthony Gakobo.

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Anthony, 

So you want the geopoint from your survey to look for the village in the basemap and retrieve the total number of homesteads, is that correct?

I'm afraid that is not possible with Survey123. 

0 Kudos
EricRodenberg
Esri Contributor

Anthony and Nicole,

Nicole is correct,  you wouldn't be able to do this out of the box with just Survey123.  You could do some back end geoprocessing however.  You could collect your geopoint with Survey123 and on the back end at night or every couple of hours or minutes fire of a geoprocessing task that utilizes GeoEnrichment to grab census data with in a mile/2mile/3Mile etc buffer and then you could have the total number of homesteads.  However that is looking at Census data that has already been collected from 2010.  You could also do this with LiDAR analysis to detect volumetric change.  You would need multiple years of LiDAR data to compare but it would show new structures but it may also catch additions made to existing structures too but some simple analysis could probably eliminate additions from the results.

Eric J. Rodenberg | Solution Engineer Transportation Practice
Esri | 7775 Walton Pkwy, Suite 270 | New Albany, Ohio 43054-8202 | USA
T 614-933-8698, ext. 5503 | erodenberg@esri.com | esri.com
0 Kudos