Asset extraction using JPEG street imagery

09-01-2023 11:43 AM
doronwen
New Contributor II

I’m searching for a way to capture features on a roadway using street-view imagery.

In the attached example, I marked a guardrail (linear feature) and a Sign and a Signpost (point features). I’d like to capture to Lat/Log of the features, measure the length of a linear feature as well as some attribute information (type, condition etc.)

I’m aware there are many companies out there that develop software just for that – asset extraction - but I’m looking for a less expensive solution, one that I can use Esri product such as ArcPro or Experience Builder. I’m open for suggestions. TIA.

4 Replies

https://www.mapillary.com/ does some of this, it has the collection apps and an extension for arcgis pro although I prefer using the website.  It doesn't meet all of your requirements but it is pretty much free to use.

doronwen
New Contributor II

Is that some sort of an open source app? random people upload their own imagery while they drive?

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@doronwen what are your intended use cases for the extracted data? Looking at the sample screenshot, wondering if you need the lines, points to then align with a street layer for these to be useful for further processing? Just thinking ahead so the data extracts actually serves some key goals.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
ClarkSelby
New Contributor III

Here are two user-friendly low cost Experience Builder tools designed for efficient asset visualization with 2D or 360° video:

1. VidGeo for ArcGIS

Key Features:

• Stream video securely from your private server (e.g., AWS).
  • Visualize in ArcGIS for efficient asset visualization and feature collection/update.
  • Capture entire project sites with just one person using a 2D or 360° camera.

Learn more: VidGeo

ClarkSelby_0-1701878514760.jpeg

2. GeoTube for ArcGIS

Key Features:

• Visualize in YouTube, analyze in ArcGIS.
  • Streamline project site sharing within ArcGIS using a 2D or 360° camera.

Learn more: GeoTube

ClarkSelby_1-1701878514739.jpeg

Additional Geoprocessing Tools: Included are video and photo collection workflows with these tools:

1. Geotagged Videos to Polylines:

• Convert geotagged videos into polylines representing their paths.
    • Compatible with Nodeology's geo-immersive video widgets.                                                                          
  2. Extract Geotagged Video Frames:

• Generate video frames from geotagged videos based on time and/or distance intervals.
    • Compatible with standard and 360 videos.                                                                                                             
  3. Append Geotagged Videos:

• Integrate geotagged videos seamlessly into existing solutions.
    • Simplify continuous updates and publishing of geotagged videos.                                                           
  4. Append Geotagged Photos to Points:

• Combine geotagged photos with ArcGIS data effortlessly.
    • Specifically tailored for 360° imagery compatibility.

More info available at https://www.nodeology.net/geotube-for-arcgis/ 

0 Kudos