ArcGIS Pro 2.2 and R

06-28-2018 08:14 PM
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Anyone over on this side of the spectrum running R and the R-bridge under the new limitations of Pro 2.2? (must use a cloned environment, which has cloning issues to begin with)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Lots of viewers, that are in the know... but no commenters... hmmm

0 Kudos
MarjeanPobuda
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan,

I am sorry for the delay, UC week and the weeks before have been quite hectic. However, I am not sure if I fully understand your question. There are no new limitations when it comes to 2.2 and the R-ArcGIS bridge functionality. The R-ArcGIS bridge is completely separate from the Python Package Manager and Conda by default, so there is no need for a cloned environment to use any bridge functionality. 

That being said, it would seem though that you might have run into issues while trying to create a clone of your arcgispro-py3 environment. If you wish to modify your arcgispro-py3 environment, you do first need to clone it in Pro 2.2. This new requirement was put into place by the Python team to help ensure no one modified the environment for Pro to the point of breaking it beyond repair. I have had success in cloning my environment in order to create a new environment in which I have installed packages I wanted to. If you have found an issue though, I am sure the Python team would be happy to help investigate. Could you maybe provide some more details or stop by the Spatial Analytics Island to see us, if you are in town for the UC?

Hope this helps somewhat,

Marjean

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Marjean...

I have had no issues with cloning my environment, albeit using a different methodology than the python team is currently having issues with.

I noticed the GitHub repo was recently updated since my post

R-ArcGIS · GitHub 

GitHub - R-ArcGIS/r-bridge: Bridge library to connect ArcGIS and R, including arcgisbinding R librar... 

so perhaps I will have to troll a little deeper.  Currently looking at the need to have separate installs of R or using Anaconda Navigator to manage it all (a small change is needed to get it to operate with esri's current install, but S.W. found a workaround/fix during Beta 2.2)

I have former students at UC... perhaps I will send them your way.

Thanks

Addendum...

Just saw this as well... worth putting up here

GitHub - R-ArcGIS/UC-2018: Materials presented at Esri's 2018 User Conference 

0 Kudos
MarjeanPobuda
Occasional Contributor

Dan,

It is my understanding the repository was updated to include new documentation for the arcgisbinding R package since we recently added new functions for handling raster support.

I am afraid I am still not following on the need for separate installs. Maybe S.W can help to fill in the gaps. Definitely send your students our way, we'd be happy to speak with them!

-Marjean

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To clarify... you used to be able to install R when you installed PRO. But with the locked down environment, you have to side-step the package manager.

Some of my colleagues want a separate install of R and an R-less PRO.  I am trying to resolve any benefit of creating a separate clone in an esri-preferred location (aka the c:/users...) rather than where we wish to clone stuff.

Everything worked as we wanted it to in our labs and individual installs prior to 2.2.  We are just finding the extra roadblocks a bit inconvenient, but not insurmountable

Dan

0 Kudos