Where can I go to find someone to review a lengthy python script

12-10-2014 08:34 PM
BrendaJameson
New Contributor II

I would like to rewrite a script that is executed in ArcMap as a standalone script. I was told it cannot be done as some of the commands are only available in ArcMap. I am fairly new to both languages and am at a loss as to where to go from here. I was hoping there was a place or person who does this kind of thing for a very nominal fee (I am on a very tight budget-my own personal expense, not a company's). I would not need it to be rewritten but pointers would help.I would like to send them the script and have them assess the effort and possibly give me a few pointers to get me going in the right direction.I am sorry if this is not the right forum. I just don't know where else to get the help.

To facilitate this as a discussion, perhaps the old python/GIS gurus could let us newbies know of the different forums out there and the purposes of each. Maybe there is a place where seasoned programmers are available to offer this kind of assistance.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
BrendaJameson
New Contributor II

Not sure I have a good answer for that other than it was requested and I thought it would be a good learning experience. I do like the idea of compartmentalizing sections of the script and calling them as needed. It would make testing the script faster when the code in question is towards the end of the process. Dan Patterson gave me some great suggestions. Now I just have to hunt down some sample scripts to help guide me along.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Maybe this post can help you in some way: Some Python Snippets

If you have more specific problems you run into, just post them, and there will be loads of people eager to help you (for free),.. that's what the community is all about.

Kind regards, Xander