Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey Question for all Python Programmers. Please I need feedback from you all!!

06-25-2013 12:59 PM
MichelleCouden1
Deactivated User
OK, so I'm new at writing scripts. I take alot of pride in my work when I finish the script. So recently, one of my coworkers took one of my scripts and rewrote it to fit his needs. Should I be happy about this?????? I'm not used to people taking my work. Is that what we do with our scripts? Share them I guess??
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
T__WayneWhitley
Honored Contributor
Ditto!  That's the spirit of 'collaborative coding' !  I've stolen a lot of code, pieces here there and everywhere, from Chris and others alike and expermented - in many cases, not even fully understanding how exactly it works....but without seeing it in action, I probably would have learned way way less.  And the way you can 'bend' Python to your uses, let the 'borrowing' continue!  Thanks.

PS - So funny what Dan said about no one 'over the age of 16' will be able to unlock your code.

Enjoy,
Wayne

EDIT:  And yes, whereever possible I acknowledge fully and recognize the hard work...
0 Kudos
AmyKlug
Frequent Contributor
I am teaching myself python in no way would be able to do it unless I can see how others use code, and help me debug mine. Plus ESRI publishes code on their help now. If I write code and see it will help someone else I definitly post it. My business has several GIS departments are we are going to start posting our processes so we aren't all re-creating the wheel. I have never had any sucess programming before due to a lack of expamples so this has been great.
0 Kudos