Parallel Processing Tools List?

03-22-2019 01:29 PM
EricEagle
Occasional Contributor III

On the Parallel Processing Factor environment documentation, it reads:

Tools that honor the Parallel Processing Factor environment will divide and perform operations across multiple processes.

It is unclear which tools these are.  Is there a list of such tools?  I ran a hex grid script over a large area using Generate Tesselation and while it didn't give me any feedback on using a parallel processing factor, only one of my cores out of 36 was used to complete the job.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

For example

Generate Tessellation—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

if you scroll to the very bottom of the help topic for that page you will see

Environments

So it isn't supported in your example.  There is no list, but it is listed with each tool if supported.
If you do find a tool that supports your particularly environment need, you have to click on the Environments tab on the tool and ensure that the options are set or you set the option as needed.
The Environments tab on Arctoolbox tools is often overlooked.  It is not to be confused with global project wide environments... this tab has more targeted options that can supplement the global situation
0 Kudos
JacobHartle2
Esri Contributor

Hi Eric Eagle

In regards to a list of tools that support parallel processing, we do not have one that is public yet. I just wrote one and hopefully it can be made public soon, but in the meantime there is a method where you can find most of the tools that support the Parallel Processing Factor environment setting. 

• Open File Explorer and go to the following location: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\Help\gp
  • Click on the Search box and a new contextual menu should appear, click on Advanced Options and click on File Contents so that we can look through the files themselves

Enable File Search in File Explorer

• Search for parallelprocessingfactor and a list of tools that support this environment setting will appear in the results

Please note that this will list most of the tools that support this environment setting. Some toolboxes such as GeoAnalytics Server and Raster Analysis will not be listed here, but can utilize distributed computing on your server machine.

Hope this helps,

Jacob