Network dataset creation

Jump to solution
03-29-2016 08:35 PM
AshkanGholamialam
New Contributor

I am programming OD cost matrix generation in Python and everything was going well till I needed to create the network dataset in order to accomplish network analysis tasks. Would you think there is any module available online that might do this?

I really appreciate your time!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello.  Unfortunately, creating a network dataset from scratch cannot be done through python.

If you're using ArcGIS Pro, you can create a network dataset using the Create Network Dataset From Template tool, which can be called from python.  However, you have to have a template to work from, so you have to have created a network dataset at some point previously to use as a template.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Creating a network dataset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop the conventional approach

What is the Network Analyst module?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop via arcpy... if the class or function isn't there, it can't be done without arcobjects

MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello.  Unfortunately, creating a network dataset from scratch cannot be done through python.

If you're using ArcGIS Pro, you can create a network dataset using the Create Network Dataset From Template tool, which can be called from python.  However, you have to have a template to work from, so you have to have created a network dataset at some point previously to use as a template.

ArunEpuri
New Contributor II

I have multiple gdbs based on regions.

1. I created the network dataset for one gdb manually by using ArcGIS =>New => Network DataSet

2. Used CreateTemplateFromNetworkDataset to export the template

3. To replicate the same template for rest of the gdbs. I want to use python script

Can I use the previous exported template. If yes, Where I need to change/specify on which datasource these template need to be applied. There is no parameter in the tool to mention input dataset

Please let suggest.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you can use the template you created to make new network datasets in other geodatabases.  Set the output_feature_dataset parameter to the feature dataset in the geodatabase where you want to create the network.

0 Kudos
ArunEpuri
New Contributor II

Thanks Melinda for quick response.

I tried it, it's not working and throwing below error

Here is error message details.

Executing: CreateNetworkDatasetFromTemplate C:\.....\HydroNDTemplateNew.xml C:\....\NHDPLUS_H_1406_HU4_GDB.gdb\Hydrography
Start Time: Mon Sep 9 17:30:09 2019
ERROR 030168: The network dataset cannot be created from template xml file.
The network source must correspond to a simple feature class.
Failed to execute (CreateNetworkDatasetFromTemplate).
Failed at Mon Sep 9 17:30:10 2019 (Elapsed Time: 1.26 seconds)

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

My guess is that one of your source feature classes is not a normal point or line feature class.  Maybe it's a multipoint or a raster or some other weird thing.

0 Kudos