Linear Directional Mean tool not working in either ArcMap or ArcPro?

Jump to solution
03-16-2020 05:57 AM
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have been trying to utilize the linear directional mean tool in both ArcMap, but for some reason I have been having issues with the tool running.

So if anyone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if there is a way to do something similar through code (python) I would really appreciate it as well (similar to the example below).

software recommendations - Is there an R alternative for ArcMap's linear directional mean tool? - Ge... 

I think I can reverse engineer the solution provided in the link above to effectively use it in python but not sure.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RPGIS
by

Hi Dan,

So I was able to get it to work just fine in pro. I never thought about combining the single part to multi-part. I ran a test and it worked perfectly. Thank you very much for the pointer.

Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you running this in a scene?  

Projected input and output coordinate systems?

Singlepart geometry? (Multipart to singlepart may be necessary but not specified)

All data or just one particular set?

Anything you can add about the inputs, outputs and/or your environment?

The conditions are pretty simple for the tool requirements, suggesting something data related.

Linear Directional Mean—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

How Linear Directional Mean works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

The project input and output coordinate systems are State Plane Georgia FIPS West.

It is a multi-part geometry, where the tool is ran for each line.

The input is just a plain line feature class that was created and that is the only data that is being used.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Robert, you might want to try converting the multipart to singlepart shapes then specify a 'case' field to do the grouping. 

Multipart To Singlepart—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Thanks Dan,

I will give that a try. I didn't have any luck with the case field in ArcMap but I am having better luck in Pro. So if incur any other issues I will reach back out.

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Hi Dan,

So I was able to get it to work just fine in pro. I never thought about combining the single part to multi-part. I ran a test and it worked perfectly. Thank you very much for the pointer.

Robert

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Mark this answered then Robert so the next person can find the solution

RPGIS
by

Hi Dan,

So I am not very familiar with marking things on here aside from either helpful or correct. When you say "Mark this as answered" is there a particular manner in which you can mark these comments as answered, or do I simply click on the 'Assumed Answered' at the top or 'Mark Correct' in the comment with the correct response. I am unfamiliar with this since I am not on here as much, but if you wouldn't mind letting me know then I would greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Robert, you can mark an answer correct if it lead you to a solution, or assumed answered if you had another solution and you are done.  'assumed answered' is mostly used by moderators to mark unclosed threads that had answered but were abandoned by the OP.

There are resources on the

GeoNet Resource Hub 

should you wish to explore various aspects of how things work and tools for working on GeoNet

https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback/pages/geonet-tools-resources 

It takes a while to wade through things, but the resources there and former questions and answers to them are an excellent place to start.

Have fun

0 Kudos