US National Grid - Damage Assessment

03-20-2018 01:12 PM
ScottFraser3
New Contributor III

With Esri's Damage Assessment deployable solutions, there's a layer for the "US National Grid." However, the gird isn't visible, and the attribute table is empty.

There aren't any limitations in the visibility range nor the display properties that should prevent these grids from displaying.

Thus, I'm guessing nothing is displaying because the attribute table is empty.

I located a shape file download for the USNG for my area and added it to my damage assessment map [https://usngcenter.org/fema-region-4/]. However, the Esri solution has additional fields that'd be very helpful: Grid size, Status, Percent Complete... if only they were visible.

Does anyone know how these grids are populated so they become visible and useable?

Thanks,

Scott

City of Key West

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JessicaNeuner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Scott, 

Your assessment is correct.  The layer comes in without any data and needs to be populated with the USNG (or other if preferred) grid data. 

One way to populate the layer is with an existing dataset. 

1. You can find a collection of USNG 1000m grids for all the UTM Zones in online here (shout out to Jeff Baranyi for the assist). 
  2. Once downloaded, open the layer package and select the area of interest that covers your jurisdiction.  I recommend exporting this grid subset to a new dataset you can use whenever you may want to create a new USNG grid for a response effort. 
  3. Using ArcGIS Pro, you can append the grid subset into your published USNG layer. 

Hope this helps!

jess