Need help with the spatial analysis of dolphin and oceanography data; can I join the separate layers into one attribute table?

Jump to solution
08-10-2018 01:05 PM
CaitlynnBirch
New Contributor

I have a raster layer (.tif) that represents mixed layer depth in the Eastern pacific (it has no attribute table). I also have a feature class point layer showing the spotted and spinner dolphin sets (the place where a dolphin set occurred by the tuna fishery). The number of sets per year is approx. 15,000 events. Is there a way to join the two layers so that when looking at the dolphin set attribute table I can see the spatial connection to what depth the set occurred? I can do this manually -- by zooming in on each set point and using the identify tool, click the oceanography layer, to tell me mixed layer depth -- but my dataset is huge, and I need to do this for each year, and season, over a 25 year period, and I don't have time to do this. If I'm able to tell at what depth each set occurred, I can then average them, and find at what depth spinner sets are occurring, and at what depth spotted sets are occurring, for each year, and compare how this has changed over the 25 year period. Does anyone have any suggestions, or ways I may be able to get around this issue? 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPisut
Esri Contributor

Hi Caitlynn, 

Have you tried the Sample tool?

Cheers,

Dan

View solution in original post

2 Replies