How to manage cost of service credits for storage?

Jump to solution
08-04-2020 01:24 PM
MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

We are also with a very small nonprofit with a limited budget.  We have budgeted the license fee, but the storage fee is well over $100 per year. We only have one map and a few story maps online so the fee for service credits is confusing.

21 Replies
MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

OK you are a genius!  Housekeeping listed 2 big files that were ppkx package types and quite old.  They did NOT show up in the Credit Usage Status display which was until today the only way I knew about to manage credit usage.  I downloaded and deleted the files and everything still works and my total file size is only 1/3 what it was before so I think you have solved my problem!   Thank you very much and I hope the housekeeping app will be staying around.  

0 Kudos
MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

OK I think I set up a Group shared with you and put a few things in it... Probably not the right things.    If you are AU I will check again this evening.   I worked in Seoul for 3 years so I know it's a challenge.     

0 Kudos
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Maggie Ardito‌,

I've had a quick look and I'm wondering if most of the space is coming from the SJR2C_Master_MinLayers_WFL1 - usng_fl_1k_utm17r layer? It looks like its turned off and I don't think its being used in your story map. If you can remove any layers that aren't actively being used you should be able to save some space. Give that a go and let me know how you go! If you want me to look into it more please let me know but if you can grant me access to download the data then I can more easily figure out how big each of the layers are and how we can save some more space!

Thanks

Ben

MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

You're right that it's not being used.  Originally I had the requirement to present maps with US national grid markings, but that's sort of removed now.  But how can you tell  that's the culprit?  I guess to remove the layer I have to go back to Pro - is that right?

0 Kudos
BenTurrell

Hey Maggie Ardito‌,

I would download the data first and then you can check the size of the dataset. Then you can start to to delete layers and check the size of the file each time you remove data.

I'd suggest that any layers that aren't in use be remove to try and remove size.

Thanks!

Ben

MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

OK well, it's possible half a miracle has occurred..  

so HUGE reduction in size and on cursory exam the map looks OK...   but I'd have to get it connected to story maps (shortlist oldstyle) somehow and go thru a bunch of tests to make sure I can delete the 143 one - so that's tomorrow's problem.   thank you so much for all the help... I had no idea that grid was taking up so much space.  I still need help understanding it all but you've been a huge help so far.  thanks.   

BenTurrell

Maggie Ardito‌,

Glad to hear it is working well. You might be able to use ArcGIS Online assitant to change your layers over (ArcGIS Online Assistant ). This will let you change the endpoints of your layers so that you don't need to repoint your story map to the new layers.

You can also duplicate your storymap and then repoint all the underlying layers to make sure it is working before deleting the original data.

Glad to hear that it is working for you and that is a huge reduction in size. At 2.4 credits per 10mb of hosted feature layer storage you should be looking at spending only 0.72 credits per month which means you will be spending less per year then you were spending in a month!

Let me know if you need any more help!

Thanks

Ben

0 Kudos
MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

How do you duplicate a story map?  I never found that capability. and also never found how to "repoint" the layers.  Anyway I went ahead and took the risk and deleted the big map WFL but it's still showing up.  I know it takes overnight for changes to show up but I deleted it Sunday morning.   Thanks for the tip about Online Assistant - I'll followup on that.  

0 Kudos
MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

apparently still there even though deleted...???

0 Kudos
MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

Well, now I did it... I succeeded in deleting the WFL1 with help from the Online Assistant - and now  the trail is gone from every one of the story maps...   so now I REALLY need to know how to "repoint" the story maps to the new map I just uploaded without that USNG grid layer.....    You can see all the story maps from our website  ...   river2sealoop.org/loop-maps     

0 Kudos