How to plot points in New Zealand?

04-15-2019 11:12 AM
LisaBishop
New Contributor

Hello GeoNet, 

I am using earthquake data gathered in New Zealand and I am having difficulty getting the longitude coordinate to work. All my points plot just south of Africa, in the ocean, on the Greenwich England line. I have tried assigning a different coordinate system, projecting, and calculating the longitude to zero. But, none of that worked. I've absolutely checked the coordinates to ensure they are New Zealand. Those are in lat/long decimal degrees. 

Thanks for your help!

Lisa Marie

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

174.8860° E, 40.9006° S,

174.8860, -40.90

Long, Lat

Are you getting stuff switched? or are you omitting the -ve sign for lat or have you put one in for long?

Decimal degrees required as well, not DMS or DM.mm

0 Kudos
LisaBishop
New Contributor

Hi Dan! Thank you. Yes, I'm using the -40 176 for the y x respectively. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Don't know, perhaps the more responsive group switches X and Y or has some other system for recording longitude and latitude

Good luck

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

What is the coordinate system of your Data Frame or Map Frame?

Also when you do the conversion Display XY Data if you choose the coordinate system as Geographic WGS1984 it should display correctly.

0 Kudos
DerekPhyn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lisa,

Can you send me through directly a contact email address for you and I’ll sign you up the NZGIS4EM slack workspace? You can then post this message there and the NZGIS4EM community will likely be more responsive.

Cheers

Derek

Derek Phyn Senior Spatial Analyst | Spatial Analysis and Modelling, Science and Strategy

WAIKATO REGIONAL COUNCIL | Te Kaunihera ā Rohe o Waikato<https://waikatoregion.govt.nz/>

Take a look at the work we do<https://www.waikatoregion.govt.nz/community/whats-happening/video-hub/>

P: +6478590826<tel:>

M: +64212234922

F: facebook.com/waikatoregion

Private Bag 3038, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton, 3240, New Zealand

JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

NZ is a bit tricky - technically we straddle both east/west hemispheres as we are quite close to the antimeridian - the Chatam Islands are on the other (western) side.  But regarding your problem, it sounds like longitude is just not being recognised. Pobabbly something like: wrong data type (ie text instead of number due to a space, or a O for Oarsome), bad field name ('long' may be a forbidden word), invisible space character in there, longitude field clipped out of CSV file (can check in notepad) - that kind of thing.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I can't tell from your post. Are you assigning NZTM to the data or NZGD2000? You need to assign a geographic coordinate system to the data.

Melita

0 Kudos