Which downloads to install?

Jump to solution
09-09-2019 08:11 PM
CynthiaLoebig
New Contributor II

I just got a new hot stuff computer and I'm installing ArcGIS on it.  Which of the many downloads are absolutely needed to run it?  I have an ArcGIS Desktop Basic license.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Cynthia‌,

It depends on your needs.  At a minimum, you only need to download and install ArcGIS Desktop. Everything else is optional. 

• If you are goning to be doing a lot of analysis or processing in a 64-bit environment, you may want to install the Background Geoprocessing module. 
  • If you will be working with significant transformations between coordinate systems, especially some of the newer, you would want to install the Coordinate Systems Data.  
  • If you will be working with enterprise databases you will need the Microsoft ODBC Driver 17, PostgreSQL 11.2 or appropriate version for your database and operating system.
  • Likewise if you have a need and have appropriate licensing you can also install Interoperability, Data Reviewer and/or Workflow Manager.
  • The Tutorials are helpful, if needed, but take a lot of storage space.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Cynthia‌,

It depends on your needs.  At a minimum, you only need to download and install ArcGIS Desktop. Everything else is optional. 

• If you are goning to be doing a lot of analysis or processing in a 64-bit environment, you may want to install the Background Geoprocessing module. 
  • If you will be working with significant transformations between coordinate systems, especially some of the newer, you would want to install the Coordinate Systems Data.  
  • If you will be working with enterprise databases you will need the Microsoft ODBC Driver 17, PostgreSQL 11.2 or appropriate version for your database and operating system.
  • Likewise if you have a need and have appropriate licensing you can also install Interoperability, Data Reviewer and/or Workflow Manager.
  • The Tutorials are helpful, if needed, but take a lot of storage space.