What are the relationships among accounts, subscriptions, and organizations?

Jump to solution
11-10-2017 07:31 AM
Labels (1)
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to sort out the relationships among accounts, subscriptions, and organizations in My Esri, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS for Developers. I haven't seen a comprehensive and succinct document from Esri, so hopefully someone here can help me out. Here's what I've got:

An Esri Global Account is associated with one email address. An Esri Global Account may be associated with a My Esri Organization. An Esri Global Account may be associated with one ArcGIS Online Organization. A My Esri Organization and an ArcGIS Online Organization are different, unrelated things. 

Not sure how ArcGIS Developer subscriptions fit in.

Can anyone add to this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TeresaDolan
Esri Contributor

HI Jonathan,

Sorry for the delay on answering your question.

A single email address can be tied to multiple Esri Accounts (this is what they are called now) when created from arcgis.com. (Accounts created from accounts.esri.com have a restriction to have a 1-to-1 relationship between email addresses and Esri Accounts, but this restriction is being reviewed.)

All organizational accounts can only be tied to one ArcGIS Online organization (subscription) at a time. This includes Developer subscriptions (an org of 1). Organizational accounts can only be used in My Esri if Esri Access is enabled by the ArcGIS Online organization administrator.

Public accounts do not have an association with an ArcGIS Online organization.

You can learn more about Esri Accounts from these locations:

Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll try not to wait so long before responding...

Again, apologies for the poor response time.

Teresa Dolan (with help from the Accounts team)

Business Analyst - My Esri Team

Teresa Dolan
Business Analyst | My Esri

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good luck on your mission Jonathan

0 Kudos
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks, Dan.

You know, you'd think this information would be right up front since it's in the category of "how do I give Esri my money?"

0 Kudos
MarkMansell
New Contributor

Dan,

I tired of having to jump back an forth, then to the side while attempting to perform seemingly simple actions. My problems began as I learned of then tried out new things like ArcGIS Online, then Geo Community then picking up a Developer Account and so on. All this on the fly using different passwords then linking accounts and joining groups culminating in attempting to join my AGOLOrganization. Question: Have you or anyone you know tried scrubbing your ESRI presents then signing up again in a logical manner? I'm giving it a thought right about now.

Mark

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well I have been here since the dawn of esri time, so I am not a good one to ask.  I would probably have a hard time remembering my password

0 Kudos
TeresaDolan
Esri Contributor

HI Jonathan,

Sorry for the delay on answering your question.

A single email address can be tied to multiple Esri Accounts (this is what they are called now) when created from arcgis.com. (Accounts created from accounts.esri.com have a restriction to have a 1-to-1 relationship between email addresses and Esri Accounts, but this restriction is being reviewed.)

All organizational accounts can only be tied to one ArcGIS Online organization (subscription) at a time. This includes Developer subscriptions (an org of 1). Organizational accounts can only be used in My Esri if Esri Access is enabled by the ArcGIS Online organization administrator.

Public accounts do not have an association with an ArcGIS Online organization.

You can learn more about Esri Accounts from these locations:

Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll try not to wait so long before responding...

Again, apologies for the poor response time.

Teresa Dolan (with help from the Accounts team)

Business Analyst - My Esri Team

Teresa Dolan
Business Analyst | My Esri