Select to view content in your preferred language

Is 64 bit background geoprocessing included automatically

Jump to solution
07-29-2020 08:09 AM
Labels (2)
VivienHolub
New Contributor

Hi, ArcGIS desktop 10.7/10.7.1 is crashing constantly so I wonder if the 64-bit background processing is not included or not enabled. I can't see it but I might have missed it or maybe I don't have it because I have only an EVA license as I am a student? If I have to add it manually from where can I downloaded it from because I don't have access to the 'Downloads' tab. 

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

OK, if there is no ErrorReports folder then it isn't crashing.  Try Dan's advice and repair the installation.  If you're still unable to get ArcMap to open, even though students don't receive full support, I believe you can still call technical support for installation issues...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Vivien Holub‌  The ArcMap‌ space would be a good spot for this question and any associated troubleshooting.

64-bit background processing is not automatically installed with ArcGIS Desktop.  You should be able to get needed software/install files from your instructor.  Also, because ArcGIS Pro is already 64-bit so doesn't require the additional install of background gp, you might ask to try that as well.

As for the crash, could you go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports and attach a few of the latest .dmp files from ArcMap crashing?  The filename contains a date-time stamp:

We can analyze those to see if they contain information that might help troubleshooting the crash.

Thank you.

VivienHolub
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply and the tips!

I can't see any 'ErrorReports' folder or anything similar, but every time I start ArcGIS it freezes very soon and goes into 'not responding' mode. Sometimes it does it for minutes but most of the time it freezes permanently and I just have to force quit. 

The EVA license I got from the university is not valid for Pro, but I will contact my university then and ask for the extension. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might want to try a "repair" of the installation.  

Go to windows Add/Remove Programs, select Remove, then you will be given the option to Repair the install

Works sometimes.

As for the 64 bit stuff, Pro is the way to go, but if you want, or are stuck with ArcMap....

Background Geoprocessing (64-bit)—ArcMap | Documentation 

... sort of retired...
VivienHolub
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply!

Clean install and 'repair' was the first thing I tried and I did it a couple of times, but didn't help at all. I started to use GIS on my laptop but it kept freezing so I assumed it was because my laptop was not powerful enough so I installed it on my PC but it was just as slow and kept on 'crashing' (freezing, not responding) so I did the repair and the clean install again, didn't change anything... I have recently upgraded my motherboard and I was hoping the problem will stop but it keeps doing the same. I have a 64-bit system on everything so that is why I think that must be a problem and my license doesn't work for Pro sadly.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

OK, if there is no ErrorReports folder then it isn't crashing.  Try Dan's advice and repair the installation.  If you're still unable to get ArcMap to open, even though students don't receive full support, I believe you can still call technical support for installation issues...