Happy New Year!🎉 What are your GIS goals for the year ahead?

01-02-2024 07:13 AM
MNGISLISCONSORTIUM
New Contributor

MNGISLISCONSORTIUM_0-1704208270445.gif

The start of a new year brings with it a sense of renewal and the opportunity for personal growth. This is a great time to set goals for the year ahead. What types of GIS goals are you looking to accomplish this year? These can be training/learning goals, professional development goals, or general GIS goals!

We're excited to hear how you plan to make 2024 a revolutionary year!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnNerge
Regular Contributor

Happy new year, Minnesota GIS community! Here are a few of my 2024 goals:

1. Make it back to the Esri User Conference after a five-year hiatus
  2. Replace our remaining classic story maps and Web AppBuilders with Experience Builder
  3. Move our VertiGIS apps to the latest version of the software
  4. Keep our documentation up to date

That last one sounds boring, and it is. But I did a lot of work in the second half of 2023 to get everything updated, and I want to keep it updated for as long as possible. The fun side of GIS only stays fun if the boring side keeps up. 😎🤓

And of course I'm also looking forward to another awesome year volunteering for the Consortium!

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Happy New Year! Wow, where did last year go? It feels like it flew by. This year I'm taking on more responsibility and with that comes new goals. My GIS goal this year consist of: 

• Become better at Arcade and Python. I have rudimentary experience in both of these and I would love to expand my knowledge and skills. 
  • Take time to upgrade projects. As technology/functionality improves, so should your projects. This will take a good amount of my time, but hopefully will show the same amount of ROI as the first iteration of them. 
  • This is a far fetched goal, but I'd love to tackle it this year- build out our 3D basemap! We've been working hard to collect 3D data over the past 5+ years, and I'd love to finally use that data for a GIS tool. 

That's what I have so far! I'm sure my goals will evolve as the year goes on, but I think that's a pretty good start. 

Cheers and Mappy 2024!

- Amanda Huber

robliebhart
New Contributor

Happy new year MN GIS peeps!

My GIS goals for this year include:

• Complete my GIS graduate certificate in June
    • Including upcoming coursework in databases, in mobile data acquisition and the location of things, and in Python
  • Complete a GIS internship this summer
    • Feel free to reach out to me with any opportunities that you are aware of and/or that you think I might be a good fit for
  • Pursue a full-time, entry-level position in my new career field!
  • Attend the 2024 MN GIS/LIS annual conference...
    • ...since I had such a blast last year!

Wishing a wonderful start to 2024 to all of you!

0 Kudos