Select to view content in your preferred language

print data driven pages

05-24-2012 04:41 AM
JuergenMoeschel
New Contributor
I have problems printing my data driven pages:
in the export map dialog there is an option "multiple pdf files" to create a separate PDF document for each page. Nice, it works! (only the size is much bigger compared to for example freePDF).
But in the print dialog there is no option to create separate pages! When i try to print a larger range of pages, ArcGIS10 (SP4 is installed) will put them all in one file and after a while it crashes, independent of the print devive! My surrounding is WIN7 with 64bit. It's a new feature in ArcGIS10 or a bug? I think in ArcGIS9.x it was default creating separate pages, because with the DS MapBook (on another computer) all works fine!
Perhaps someone have an idea what to do?
Thanks in advance

Jürgen
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
The Export Map dialog has the following option on the "Pages" tab:

Export Pages As:
  Single PDF File
  Multiple PDF Files (page names) - I believe this is what you want
  Multiple PDF Files (page index)

The same options are available via the arcpy.mapping ExportToPDF function.

Jeff
0 Kudos
MichaelFalk
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately this does not resolve the issue of trying to use an alternative pdf conversion printer ( other than the one built into ArcMap) .  If you print, print to pdf and select data driven you can select an alternate conversion printer like pdf24, bullzip, or freepdf. It seems Jürgen would like to use one of these due to file size. Sometimes I need to use an alternative pdf conversion printer because the font I am using does not appear correctly when using the Arcmap export tool (even when I select embed font).  I too would prefer the option to print to multiple files ( like the export tool allows) from the print option or be able to change the alternative pdf conversion printer within the export tool.  Please let me know if you are aware of any options. For an example of the difference in converting pdfs try using the Khmer font. You will see the pdf24 print looks fine, where the export does not (even when you select embed fonts).

0 Kudos