Select to view content in your preferred language

Lost data and program crashing

09-09-2010 05:42 AM
AliciaDunne
New Contributor
Good Morning,

I've run into an issue where ArcMap and/or ArcCatalog crashes everytime I try to generate, delete, or edit a schematic diagram. The diagrams were created from selected features within a network. The GIS data is managed through SDE, and the project uses a version. Oddly, diagrams that were created two days ago have dropped entire elements and diagrams created yesterday have been lost entirely. Is this a common? I'm not sure what could be conflicting with the extension and would appreciate any suggestion to a starting point.
I was thinking maybe the file geodatabase that stores the schematic dataset has suddenly been corrupted somehow. Is there a way to import the diagram configuration from one project to another?

Thank you for your help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
Not common at all.

Did you happen to drop and reload the GIS data?  Did anything else about the GIS data change (other than add/delete/modify features)?  Did you move the location of the FGDB that contains the schematic dataset?  Did you change any of the sde server information (instance, machine name etc...)?  You don't mention a version, so hard to give exact information or suggestions.  You can export a schematic dataset from one database to another.  Right-click the dataset in catalog and export it.  Usually best to keep the dataset in the same database as the base data (SDE in your case).

Schematics keeps track of the classid's and objectid's of the related feature classes and features.  So if that information changes, you have to fix things on the schematic side.  Schematics also keeps track of database connection information and version information.  So if that changes, you have to fix things on the schematic side.

If none of that has changed, then I would suggest trying to just create a new fgdb, new schematic dataset, new diagram template (type depending on your version) and generate a new diagram.  If that works, it will isolate a complete software issue or something wrong with that particular schematic dataset.
0 Kudos
AliciaDunne
New Contributor
Thank you for your help. I recreated the template, etc. and everything has been working fine since.
0 Kudos