Select to view content in your preferred language

Geocoding with Desktop 10.5

02-28-2017 10:38 AM
NorthPark
New Contributor III

Upon upgrading to 10.5, I have found that I am no longer able to access my agency's address locators that were stored in the geodatabases. Do they need to be published as a service now or is there somewhere else they need to be stored on the server instead of inside a geodatabase? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

something changed

Legacy:

Locators should be stored in a file folder so you can take advantage of new features that are not supported for locators stored in geodatabases, such as performance improvements, multithreading capabilities, and suggestions support. ArcGIS 10.4 is the last release to support storing locators in geodatabases.

So there are issues as well

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

From Dan's second link: Address locators stored in geodatabases are no longer supported as specified in the deprecation notice for 10.4/10.4.1. This means that prior to 10.5 address locators could be seen inside of the geodatabase, but after installing 10.5, they are no longer visible when viewing the contents of the geodatabase from this version of ArcGIS.

That is the coolest thing ever.  For a number of years its been all over the forum not to store locators in a gdb.  

sbritt-esristaff‌ : that's definitely a feature I can get behind!  

That should just about do it....
NorthPark
New Contributor III

My question was more as to how I can direct the agency to update things on their end. It would appear that they will need to publish all of their locators as services.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

depends on how widespread and what type of access is need by all... or is a few, several etc... there is some basic info, anything wider in nature would be as a service http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geocoding/a-quick-tour-of-geocoding.htm#ESRI_...

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I don't know how your situation is set up, but if you share a directory with these other agencies, I would suggest they create the locators somewhere that you can reach.  The data can be in a geodatabase in that same directory or somewhere else; the locators can point to an enterprise GDB, or a file GDB.  (I'd stay away from personal GDBs and/or shapefiles though). It's just that having a locator within a geodatabase creates a host of problems in and of itself.

If you do not share such resources, then yes, publishing a locator would be the way to go.

Best of luck.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos