Data Driven Pages with Dynamic/Graphic Tables

Jump to solution
02-27-2013 11:27 AM
KaitlynBurgess
New Contributor II
Hello,

Does anyone know if it possible to add a table to a mapbook (data driven pages) that updates with the map extent. Meaning as you page through the mapbook the table updates itself.

I know you can do this with the Production Mapping extension but, that is a $10,000 complex product and I only need it for this simple task.

Thanks,
Kait
0 Kudos
1 Solution
4 Replies
ChristopherCoutu
New Contributor III
Hi,
   I'm also in need of a solution that will allow me to put a dynamic table in a layout
while using Data Driven Pages. I have 30 plow routes each with 10 to 20 streets.
I've made a data driven page for each plow route and would like a dynamic list of the
streets in that plow route on the same layout page.

In the past each of the 30 plow route maps were made with 30 mxds.

Could you make me a member of the Map Automation group so I could see the examples in the previous posts?

Many thanks,
Chris, GIS Coordinator, Town of Westford Massachusetts
0 Kudos
BrianQuinn
New Contributor III
I just moved to a new job at an Esri ELA-using agency three weeks ago.  I'd been intrigued by PLTS/Production Mapping for over ten years, but within my first two weeks I was faced with a need for a map series with dynamic tables in layout.

It's not direct to the original poster's question, but the graphical interface that Production Mapping offers to compose Graphic Table Elements works for me.  The interface was a head-scratcher for the first three hours, but by the second day I became quite a fan.
I have attended Technical Workshops on PLTS/Production Mapping at the User Conferences since about 2007, but this was the first time I had a chance to test drive it.  I haven't had training, just grazed the online documentation.

That said, I never before had a chance to try out Production Mapping at my previous agencies because of its large initial cost and (for me) the vague ways in which it appeared to offer value.  Now, with a project that needed detailed annotation on a brief (32-page) series, I've been able to automate the process and focus on getting the data compatible with other systems, and the graphic design tuned to the users' desires---rather than hacking a stack of Map Documents or hand-coding changes in Python because Data-Driven Pages lacked this feature.

I'm attaching a two-page PDF to demonstrate where the Graphic Table Elements from Production Mapping proved useful.  Now, I can look forward to the next 32 parks instead of dreading it!
JohnByrne
New Contributor
Hi Jeff,

I am a newbie to DynamicGraphicTables and Data Driven pages. Your links were really useful and seem to be exactly what I want to do, unfortunately I am not a guru on python and am struggling to edit the python script to use it for my own needs. Any advice?

Thanks

John
0 Kudos