Creating two groups of labels for a shapefile

01-25-2016 04:00 PM
JohnKnouse
New Contributor III

I am using labels for a shapefile. I want the labels to display in two different sizes, one for each group of entries in the shapefile. How do I do that? As usual, ArcGIS help is spectacularly useless. The file has a field that differentiates the different types of entries. The help says something about features classes, but I can't use the feature class wizard, because it won't recognize the shapefile.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I think you're looking for Label Classes: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Using label classes to label features from the same layer differently—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and buried further down that thread... for 10.3 if that matters

JohnKnouse
New Contributor III

Thank you. All I needed to know was that there was a separate toolbar and where it was. ArcGIS Desktop help NEVER tells you that sort of thing. I thought the labeling utility in the shapefile properties was all I had.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Well, you can also set up label classes through the layer properties:

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

useful links

A quick tour of finding tools—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

An overview of the 3D Analyst toolbox—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  although this shows the 3D analyst, it is simply the first on top of the familiar arctoolbox tree

0 Kudos