Select to view content in your preferred language

It's Not Personal: A brief history of the geodatabase and why personal geodatabases are not in ArcGIS Pro

10-16-2023 11:53 AM
Labels (1)
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor
2 0 360

It's Not Personal: A quick history of the geodatabase and why personal geodatabases are not in ArcGI...

It’s Not Personal, is the first blog in this blog series and explains why personal geodatabases aren’t supported in ArcGIS Pro.

Microsoft has deprecated support for the Microsoft Jet Database Engine 4.0 libraries and considers t.... This is the Microsoft technology that previously made support for personal geodatabases possible in ArcMap within ArcGIS Desktop. Also, there are no 64-bit versions of these libraries and ArcGIS Pro is a 64-bit application. Since the technology used to make personal geodatabases is no longer supported and Microsoft is advising against using these deprecated formats, there is no viable or supported path forward for offering personal geodatabases in ArcGIS Pro. Moving forward, our recommendation is to migrate your data from a personal geodatabase to either a file or mobile geodatabase.

Bridging Data is the second blog in this series. It guides you through the experience of how ArcGIS Pro can be used to create OLE DB connections to a Microsoft Access database (.accdb)a personal geodatabase (.mdb), and a MySQL database, and reviews the options available to use and work with this tabular data in ArcGIS Pro.

Migrating Data is the third blog in this series. It provides a look at the differences between file-based geodatabase types, characteristics, and capabilities.  Additionally, two new sample tools are introduced and available to help with migrating a personal geodatabase to a file geodatabase and, if needed, migrating a file geodatabase to a mobile geodatabase.

geodatabases.jpg

Tags (1)
About the Author
| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | 30 years experience | www.linkedin.com/in/mmarquesbr | I have worked with Esri Technology since 1992 and I have been working with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997 when the Geodatabase was first released. | " a successful Enterprise ArcGIS application deployment starts with a strong physical database design and best database administration practices" | " I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov |