Select to view content in your preferred language

Why do my lines change bearings and distance on their own?

02-22-2019 11:13 AM
deleted-user-aIw_A3YQRnA9
New Contributor III

I am experiencing some issues with the parcel fabric editing environment. I am the parcel editor for my local government. I maintain our cadastral tax parcel base, among other things. The problem I am experiencing has to do with the lines changing bearings and distances on their own. I'm not sure what is going on here, but even after I go back and save them as a correction, I can go back a week later, and they'll still be different than what I had input. This is true not only for lines, but other things as well. I am given feedback during a review process ( I am being reviewed by a company that specializes in real estate GIS and they point out these data errors to me) I believed in the beginning that I was just putting the information in wrong. But it's been quite some time that I've been under this review process, and these issues are a consistent problem. I am no longer convinced that I am at fault for these problems because I implemented going back and checking all of my work after a reconcile and post process, and they keep coming back wrong. I work in a versioned environment. I am not the person who does any or the rec and post process. I do not manage any data versions. I am simply a data editor looking for some understanding of how/why these things are coming back wrong. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

that's really strange! could be that someone else in your department/office/whatever is working the same area by mistake? i've never seen bearings/distance change on their own. 

i'd try to ask the staff that handles the reconcile/post process about the problem you're having and maybe they can help figure it out. can you turn on editor tracking, or have some way of asking for that so you can make sure your work hasn't been tampered with?

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Thank you Anna, for responding to this. I am the only editor for this data actually. And I don't think that it's being intentionally tampered with at all. It's as if the lines are just readjusting themselves to fit better or something and the corresponding calls and dimensions I put in are also adjusting. I don't know...   I will ask to have editor tracking turned on and will consult with the gal responsible for the rec and post process. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

you know what? i kind of remember an adjustment for "accuracy" that can be run on parcel fabrics given enough control points. i've never used it because it warped my fabric the first time i tried it out. maybe they're running an adjustment and it's throwing off your bearing/distance?

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

also, fwiw, i have a very very very similar job so i totally understand the frustration 

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

oh my gosh! If only our bosses understood haha  They think I'm a total clown and I'm just like - No I swear on my life I'm not a bad employee - there's something else going on here!! 

This thread will be helpful in getting them to see it from more points of view than just mine hopefully. Again, thank you. For the explanation and the sympathies (you have mine as well)

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

yeah, for sure. if you're inputting exactly what's on your plat or survey, those shouldn't change! that's the whole point of a parcel fabric - to maintain the recorded measurements!

ColinLindeman1
New Contributor II

So far I've found that the 'Merge Courses', 'Parcel Remainder' and 'Merge' can change the COGO values of parcels. We've also seen other parcels COGO values change seemingly on their own and we don't know why yet.

0 Kudos