ArcGIS Enterprise Support Structure

06-17-2020 02:20 PM
JacobHechter1
New Contributor II

I am a GIS manager in a mid-sized district council in New Zealand.  We have an organisation of around 500 people, and a full-time corporate GIS team of 4 including myself: 2 analysts, 1 developer and 1 manager.  There are 8 - 12 GIS technicians scattered throughout the rest of the organisation tasked with data content management.

We have recently (successfully!) implemented ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 after upgrading from ArcGIS Server 10.3.1.  The hard, cold reality is there is a lot more to administer than there used to be.  Our plan of attack has been to get our corporate GIS team (myself included) to be across all of the feeding, watering and troubleshooting.  We are getting through it, but it's been a really big job.  Everyone is turning into ArcGIS Enterprise Green Berets!

My question is this - within government organisations, has the GIS Team structure needed to change in order to support ArcGIS Enterprise?  I can definitely see the need for a GIS Server Administrator - either as a full time position or somebody embedded in the wider IT department.  I am keen to get the perspective from others doing the same thing.

Cheers.

-Jake.

0 Kudos
0 Replies