knowing the height of a building form an Orthophoto using the ArcMAP

Jump to solution
10-29-2015 01:59 AM
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Is there any method to know the height of a building form an Orthophoto using the ArcMAP, I have an ECW image is there any methods to get approximately the height of buildings which are on it?

Clip_5.jpg

Many thanks,

Ahmad Saleh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Ahmad

I thought I should clarify - it it is more than obtaining metadata for your images.  In order for the mensuration tools to work, you must be working with original data from the sensor (satellite or aerial camera) - original meaning "not orthorectified".  Depending on your data source, you may be able to get the unprocessed data.

If the source is a satellite, the metadata you will need is encoded in RPCs (Rational Polynomial Coefficients) which typically will be available.  You can then load the imagery into the map either using the Raster Product, or add the imagery to a Mosaic Dataset, using the specific Raster Type for the satellite.  If using a Mosaic Dataset, you need to enable mensuration with a setting under Properties.

If the source is an aerial camera system, you will need to have the camera model (interior orientation), as well as "exterior orientation" data (typically expressed as XYZ location and omega/phi/kappa orientation angles) for each image.  You would then use the Frame Camera Raster Type to load your unrectified aerial images into a Mosaic Dataset (and again with the Mosaic Dataset, you must enable mensuration).

Let me know if you need further information -

Cody B

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RichardsonAluvilayil2
New Contributor III

Hello Ahmad,

This link should answer your question:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Regards,

Richardson

AhmadSALEH1

Hi Richardson,

But why the Measuring height tools are disabled in my case. does the inserted photos should have a specific properties?

Clip_6.jpg

Regards,

Ahmad

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1

I can't speak definitively on this but I think these capabilities may only be available when using raster products.  The reason being is that these measurement capabilities require additional metadata regarding imagery collection including the camera model (i.e., the mathematical relationship between the camera and the portion of the earth that is captured in the image) and sun angle.  This level of metadata is typically only included with raster products.  See the last section, "Capabilities of imagery," in the help document provided by Richardson for more information on this.

GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Gabriel is correct on this. in order to use the mensuration capabilities you need the metadata associated with the imagery. Raster Products is essentially all the metadata required, look angle, sun angle, time of day and date to reform image mensuraytion. Unfortunately ECW is a processed, derived image format. All you have here is the raster. Very good for visualisation but not analysis.

cheers

Gordon

ShylaLiebscher1
New Contributor II

Does your data have elevation data included and is it Z-aware? You will need to convert the ECW, a flat compressed jpeg into a raster dataset and attach Z values using a DEM. Then you can use 3D analyst tools to set the properties and calculate building heights, depending on which type of raster or LAS dataset you create. You can use aspect, Surfaces Differences, or Sun Shadow Volume are just a few options.

AhmadSALEH1

Hi shyla,

Unfortunately No,  the elevation is not included with the image

Many thanks

0 Kudos
AhmadSALEH1

Many thanks guys for the information you all provided, I will try to get the metadata which is related to the images and update you with the results.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Ahmad

I thought I should clarify - it it is more than obtaining metadata for your images.  In order for the mensuration tools to work, you must be working with original data from the sensor (satellite or aerial camera) - original meaning "not orthorectified".  Depending on your data source, you may be able to get the unprocessed data.

If the source is a satellite, the metadata you will need is encoded in RPCs (Rational Polynomial Coefficients) which typically will be available.  You can then load the imagery into the map either using the Raster Product, or add the imagery to a Mosaic Dataset, using the specific Raster Type for the satellite.  If using a Mosaic Dataset, you need to enable mensuration with a setting under Properties.

If the source is an aerial camera system, you will need to have the camera model (interior orientation), as well as "exterior orientation" data (typically expressed as XYZ location and omega/phi/kappa orientation angles) for each image.  You would then use the Frame Camera Raster Type to load your unrectified aerial images into a Mosaic Dataset (and again with the Mosaic Dataset, you must enable mensuration).

Let me know if you need further information -

Cody B