Select to view content in your preferred language

Student Seeking Feedback on Proposed Project: HOAs and Climate Change

01-11-2024 08:15 AM
JFron
by
New Contributor II
Good Day Everyone,

This is my first post and I'm reaching out about a project I am working on this quarter as a senior geosciences student at SNHU. The class is Geoscience Methodologies and the project is a research paper that will contain an abstract, introduction, data collection methods, results, and conclusion. My proposed hypothesis is: HOAs, both county and neighborhood, directly and negatively impact climate change through deforestation, habitat loss/loss of biodiversity, water pollution, and soil degradation. 

What I was thinking on how to collect the data for this project would be to research a small HOA community in my area (I live in Atlanta so there are plenty everywhere) and then count how many yards in the neighborhood use sod as opposed to native grasses, how many have more than a certain number of trees in their front and backyard in relation to the surrounding area whether it was forested or not, going door-to-door to poll if any of them are spraying pesticides or hiring a pesticide company for their yards, ask if they experience any flooding or pooling around their properties during precipitation events. This is kind of where I've hit a dead end, I feel like I'm on the right track but wasn't sure if there was a better way to obtain this information. I am supposed to submit an outline by Sunday which includes my hypothesis and how I am seeking to present the data (arcgis pro). The class is only 8 weeks long so I don't have much time to obtain the data and figure out how to map it on gis. While I don't need responses by Sunday, as I can create an outline with what I have figured out so far, I would love any tips or suggestions that might help refine my data collection methods, presentation recommendations, or anything else that might be helpful.

Thank you,
Jesse Fron
Student Member - Atlanta, GA
6 Replies
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Human development of almost every kind has a direct, negative impact on climate change. It might be good to clarify that just because you're focusing on HOAs, that is only one of many developments that should be evaluated. Your hypothesis is focused on HOAs, but you are describing how you would survey home owners, which seems like it would kind of change the focus.

If you were to somehow gather HOA development and landscape requirements as set forth by the city or county, it might be better to analyze the effect of those requirements on climate change. Or maybe how many or how much of the HOA developments actually align with those requirements as built. You can still use geographic methods (GIS) to analyze current land use and land cover of HOAs to quantify adherence to city/county ordinance. This would also prevent you from having to go door to door, which is time consuming (and possibly dangerous).

Depending on the "climate awareness" level of the local ordinances, you could do some analysis to demonstrate what it would take (and what it would look like) for the HOA development ordinance to actually have a positive (or maybe less negative) impact on climate and the environment. In other words, find a way to make your research actionable! You could present your findings to your local government in an effort to initiate change.

Personally, I have a strong appreciation for anything that increases awareness and education for planting native. I love the idea that you are attempting to demonstrate the shortcomings of "traditional" HOA development and propose a new standard way of thinking, like planting native grasses (and trees, shrubs, and groundcover). Golf courses are also notorious for their negative environmental impact, so there's another possible target for your research.

JFron
by
New Contributor II

Thank you so much! Yes, in previous courses we have covered a lot of the broader topics on climate change involving human development (in general) and covered in smaller projects more concentrated topics like golf courses. I have never seen anyone else in my classes ever talk about HOAs (except me) and it's a topic I am passionate about, not just the political stances and implications of prejudice enforced by HOAs but also their contribution to climate change and negative ecological impacts. I appreciate your thorough response and the suggestions on how to make my project not just about the data but also on making it relatable and actionable, I hadn't considered that! 

JFron
by
New Contributor II

I live in a county that's an HOA which is enforced by local police, so you get tickets if your yard doesn't fall within their standards. My house is often the target since I am renting one of the original small, single-family homes, and I grow native grasses in my yard and had three additional trees planted in my front yard courtesy of Trees Atlanta, a non-profit. The area has gone through a period of gentrification where the original houses in the community have been torn down and replaced with million-dollar homes, all trees or all but 1-3 trees remaining in their yards, and all ground cover replaced with sod. There are no official rules or ordinances banning planting native plants or replacing sterile sod lawns with gardens, urban homesteading is legal as well as certain farm animals including chickens. However, people who do choose to replace their sod lawns, especially those who do not live in the newer mansions, are disproportionately targeted by police with warning citations. I have contested 3 so far that I've personally received because there was no law about what they cited me for, and they dropped it. I know of others in the same community who have been continually harassed much more even than I have been. I know in traditional HOAs the treatment is even worse. I hope someday they are all eradicated. 

Since I started letting my yard grow naturally and added the additional trees, all of the flooding I experienced the first two years I lived here has been eliminated. My laundry room used to get flooded every time it would rain a little bit because I had so much runoff pooling in my carport. Now I have zero issues with this. 

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

This reminds me of the struggles people have with their HOA and local code enforcement authorities during events like No Mow May. Changing public perception about the nature of your landscape is a big hurdle. You might be interested in reading Nature's Best Hope, by Douglas W. Tallamy.

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi JFron,

I think your study is very timely and for a good reason.

I did a google search on "home owners associations and climate change" and got a number of hits, two which I'll share with you: fast company  and wired .

Due to the short amount of time in a quarter, and this is a class where you are supposed to demonstrate some GIS skills, I would limit the scope of your effort to one or two variables which you can show in your analyses and maps.

I would also look at how, if you were to change one or two practices, what that would look like and how that would be a benefit. I recommend you read: "Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard", by Chip and Dan Heath, and read the chapter on bright spots for solutions.

Lastly, I would communicate with your professor and make sure he/she is on board with what you are doing and will provide you with guidance on what satisfactory and exemplary work standards are so you get the grade you want.

0 Kudos
Faiez
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi!

I am sure you already knew these points, but they are just a reminder.

• Select a title for your project.( This is very important, you have to be specific about the issue you are going to address, is it related to impact of HOA activities on the community or you’re going to address how the use of GIS makes work easy and interesting or you are encouraging the community residents or authority to use nowadays and the most popular platform like the ArcGIS Urban, ArcGIS solution for the development of the community.
  • Start collecting data via ( questionnaires, interview, Survey form,  etc)
  • Be critic about the sources
  •  Abstract
  • Create list of Contents
  • Introduction
  • Backgrounds
  • Problem formulation
  1. Goal
  2. Objectives
  3. Timeline
  • Working Methods
  • Result
  • Discussion
  • Acronyms
  •  List of sources and literature

ACRONYMS:

SNHU: Southern New Hampshire University.

HOA: Homeowners Association.

Note: The rules and regulations of HOA has to be considerate in all aspects of the project.

This link below is for your info.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=64460b6b0f8449dd97b589adf341e3e2

Best,

Faiez

GIN

0 Kudos