Select to view content in your preferred language

How should a GIS analyst present to executives?

07-07-2023 06:37 AM
Labels (2)
ChrisChiappinelli
Esri Contributor

In the latest WhereNext Confidential, a GIS analyst asks: I’m starting to get requests to present our location analysis to business managers and executives. Any advice on how to get comfortable in those situations and communicate effectively?

Here's one answer. Any other suggestions?  

13 Replies
ZewduTemesgen
New Contributor

yes, i agreed!!! now a days reading a long narration are becoming so bored. therefore, to tackle this problem demonstrating our ideas by using map is so attractive and simply we sell our ideas.

ODWC_GIS
Frequent Contributor

I've had some success in creating Survey123 projects specifically for a speaking event, showing the QR code for access on one slide, and then displaying the Dashboard that analyzed results in real-time.  ...Limited to locations with good connections, or you'll look a fool.

Best response I had was during a video conference when I was meeting with upper management to discuss how to present a GIS Project to CEO-level boardfolks.  One of them offhandedly remarked that he'd always wanted to know how many times any particular area had been burned, whilst we were looking at a giant dataset of burn perimeters... so I asked the layer for a count and changed the symbology... and all the bigwigs were unbelievably impressed with the resulting map.  All the data had been right there- we know how to use it, but some folks don't realize how to effect the answers to their questions.  Ask for some examples of questions to which your folks want answers, and give them a "pretty picture" solution (read, choropleth map). 

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes!  Higher ups love the pretty pictures.  They also like to "get the gist" vs all the details.  Know your audience vs say a field worker.

0 Kudos
ChrisChiappinelli
Esri Contributor

Well put. A good example of how a GIS pro can be the liaison between data and understanding.