Use of elevation data to find farmer's field to field variations

09-18-2014 02:30 PM
BhupinderFarmaha
New Contributor

Hi All,

I am dealing with farmers' reported data on corn production in Nebraska. I want to use elevation data (10 or 2 m resolution) to create some kind of index that can help me to find either land roughness or something else. For example, if in a small area there are 10 farmers and 2 of them are performing better than others. It would be hard to find climatic differences or differences in soil properties. One possibility is that they might have different agricultural management practices, I don't have that data but other possibilities is that soil/land roughness or position of their farm relative to neighboring farms. I don't have much clue into that so posting to request response of you.

Thanks,

Bhupinder

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Please post in only one location and use tags so that your topic can be searched on.

0 Kudos
BhupinderFarmaha
New Contributor

Dan, I thought that's what I did. I am not much familiar with the forum so don't know how to correct this issue. Any advice?

Thanks,

Bhupinder

0 Kudos
DanielMartin
New Contributor

You can use elevation to create slope across those fields and then convert it to vector points.  You can spatially join SSURGO to those points and focus on the soil characteristics you feel are most influential.

0 Kudos