union, 000117: Warning occures

Jump to solution
01-11-2021 02:20 AM
Melania_Bern
New Contributor II

Hello the group,
I am trying to intersect two shapes - I want a shape A to be expanded via attributes from the 2nd shape B and then I can perform the area calculation. They are on top of each other. Shape A is completely contained in Shape B, although they have different geometries. I expect to get at least 6 times more attributes.
Unfortunately the error no. 000117* occures. 
I don't have any empty features, but some of the individual attributes of a feature are empty.
I have ArcGIS 10.6
Can anyone help me? Best regards,
Melania

*000117: Warning! Blank output was generated.
ArcGIS 10.6 search topic
description
The output created or modified has no features. For example, running the Delete Features or Delete Rows tool removes all features or rows on a feature class or table. In general, this warning occurs when the expansion environment (or XYDomain environment) has been previously set for a geographically different area. Since the expansion environment is used to limit the features used, all features could be excluded if the expansion environment is set inappropriately.

solution
If this warning occurs unexpectedly, check the stretch environment to ensure that it is appropriate for the data that is being used.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Melania_Bern
New Contributor II

Hello Dan, 

i just want to tell You, i could do my work by making the shapes smaller - i have had to many feauters and gis just could´nt make it! 

i m glad for Your help anyway, because i could be sure it is not About coordination System. Sorry for my english, i have no time to cheque on my writing. 

greetings!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

visually they may look like they overlap, but they may have different coordinate systems.  Can you confirm what they are?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Melania_Bern
New Contributor II

Hello Dan, 

i just want to tell You, i could do my work by making the shapes smaller - i have had to many feauters and gis just could´nt make it! 

i m glad for Your help anyway, because i could be sure it is not About coordination System. Sorry for my english, i have no time to cheque on my writing. 

greetings!

0 Kudos
Melania_Bern
New Contributor II

Hello, wow, thank You 4 helping!

Actually i did Import coordinatesystem in Arc Catalog und they should have the same one now, but it s still not working. Now i am trying to use the Project tool instead. just trying??!! 

greetings!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Before you try projecting, you need to confirm that the coordinate system is indeed correct for each file.

You need to examine the properties of the layers and ensure that the 'extents' of each file are appropriate for the coordinate system and that both files will overlap.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Melania_Bern
New Contributor II

i actually did. both shapes have the GCS_MGI, and also Dataframe ist the same. The projection is GaussKruegerII_M28. I did Change a projection form MGI_Austria_GK_West. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You just don't "change" a coordinate system.  

You either "define" it or you "project" it.  The first is to establish what coordinate system it is in and the second does the actual transformation from one to the other.

Note, that the coordinate system of the dataframe simply is the coordinate system of the first layer added.  Changing it does nothing to the actual data, it simply does a "projection-on-the-fly"... that is... it makes it look nice but does nothing useful

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Melania_Bern
New Contributor II

i do understand it. and i do have the same Geographisches Koordinatensystem, defined for both shapes: GCS_MGI.
my english is not good, thats why i used the word Change instead of projected.
i m thinking, what else "union" doesnt like About my shapes.
cheers, and thank You so much,
Melania

0 Kudos
Melania_Bern
New Contributor II

Hello again, i actually tried it on other License and this is what Comes:

Executing: Union "AK_Biotyp_RLOE #;Rekultivierung_gesamt #" P:\BIAT\P012009\07_GIS_CAD\Lucas\AK_Biotyp_RLOE_Union.shp ALL # GAPS
Start Time: Mon Jan 11 12:27:07 2021
Reading Features...
Cracking Features...
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Invalid Topology [M coord limit exceeded.]
Failed to execute (Union).
End Time: Mon Jan 11 12:27:09 2021 (Elapsed Time: 2,00 seconds)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Error: 999999: Coordinate limit exceeded (esri.com)

is the last suggestion I can give even though it is for older software.

Something is obviously wrong with the files

... sort of retired...