Unable to plot 74k points

09-26-2014 06:39 AM
brianmcgee
New Contributor

Doing some research here and I have a file that has 74k points.  Even on a blank map I am unable to plot all 74k of them, but if I cut them down to less than 10k it will populate just fine. I'm not sure why this is happening as I have been able to plot more than 10k before.

Steps I am taking:

1. Add Data

2. Choose XLXS (excel) file containing 74k lat long entry points

3. choose sheet 1, where all the data is located.

4. ToC loads sheet and I right click and Display XY data

5. Field X= Longitude Y=Latitude

6. map will populate if under 10k but with 74k nothing populates, but sometimes will get some locations off the west coast of Africa.

Any assistance is helpful.  I wanted to also try to do a Spatial Density Plot on those points once they are plotted

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Hi Brian

I had no problem plotting all your points, I selected all the cells in excel prior to bringing it into ArcMap and made sure they were formatted to number, with 6 decimal places, and all 74622 displayed following the steps your followed.  It took a while for all the points to be created though.

Here is a copy of the shapefile.

0 Kudos
brianmcgee
New Contributor

Hmm.. Maybe its my computer being just too slow...  For map coordinates did you choose WGA 1984?  How long did it take your computer to process the points btw?

Brian

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

My computer is about 5 years old, and it took about 3-4 minutes.  I left coordinate system as unknown since it was raw lat/long.  If it was in a coordinate system, you can use define projection to give it a projection.

0 Kudos