Doing some research here and I have a file that has 74k points. Even on a blank map I am unable to plot all 74k of them, but if I cut them down to less than 10k it will populate just fine. I'm not sure why this is happening as I have been able to plot more than 10k before.
Steps I am taking:
1. Add Data
2. Choose XLXS (excel) file containing 74k lat long entry points
3. choose sheet 1, where all the data is located.
4. ToC loads sheet and I right click and Display XY data
5. Field X= Longitude Y=Latitude
6. map will populate if under 10k but with 74k nothing populates, but sometimes will get some locations off the west coast of Africa.
Any assistance is helpful. I wanted to also try to do a Spatial Density Plot on those points once they are plotted
I had no problem plotting all your points, I selected all the cells in excel prior to bringing it into ArcMap and made sure they were formatted to number, with 6 decimal places, and all 74622 displayed following the steps your followed. It took a while for all the points to be created though.
Here is a copy of the shapefile.
My computer is about 5 years old, and it took about 3-4 minutes. I left coordinate system as unknown since it was raw lat/long. If it was in a coordinate system, you can use define projection to give it a projection.