Superimposing circular grid of evenly spaced lines around points

10-29-2014 09:20 PM
EricBloom
New Contributor

I'm essentially trying to replicate something from a study. From the study: "we used ARCGIS to superimpose a grid of equally spaced lines onto a 2005 ortho-rectified aerial image.. and circles of radii... Spacing between grid lines increased in proportion with the concentric circles around points".

What I'm trying to do is create a circular grid of 100m around specific locations, about 30, to determine the percent land coverage by using a point-intercept method. I am using ArcMap 10.1.

I haven't been able to figure this out yet. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is it points within a circle you want?  I have a toolbox that can generate points on a circle in either sequential or random order... random points within a circle.  There are also tools to generate other point patterns.  The code snippets could be stolen and amalgamated to form the type of pattern you want and/or to convert certain forms to polylines or polygons.  I recently posted this oldie on my GeoNet Blog, if you want to look through the documentation or try the toolset.  If there is any particular pattern/shape/configuration let me know I am working on a new release to accommodate other requests.

0 Kudos
EricBloom
New Contributor

I have a set of about 30 points at specific locations that I need to create a circular grid around consisting of evenly spaced lines. I will definitely try to check out your toolset, I am not very familiar with how things like that work.

0 Kudos