Summary of points near lines

Jump to solution
08-28-2017 06:40 AM
TheodoreRakel
Occasional Contributor

I have a point feature class with 1.3 million point features.  I have a line feature class with 70K line features.  I'd like know what percentage of the line features are within 100 feet of one of the point features.  What geoprocessing tool would give me this information?

I'm using ArcGIS 10.2.1.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Theodore,

Have a look at Near—Help | ArcGIS Desktop - it should get a table that you can analyze to yield that information.

Bear in mind this may take a while since you have a lot of features. If it takes too long, you could try buffering (Buffer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop) your points by 100 ft (use the dissolve option and write the output to the in_memory workspace). Then you could do a select by location to see which lines intersect the buffer. The percentage of selected features would give you your result.

Good luck.

Micah

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Theodore,

Have a look at Near—Help | ArcGIS Desktop - it should get a table that you can analyze to yield that information.

Bear in mind this may take a while since you have a lot of features. If it takes too long, you could try buffering (Buffer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop) your points by 100 ft (use the dissolve option and write the output to the in_memory workspace). Then you could do a select by location to see which lines intersect the buffer. The percentage of selected features would give you your result.

Good luck.

Micah