Select to view content in your preferred language

Setting up alternate tables to create locator

Jump to solution
06-28-2024 01:03 PM
RenatevanDorp
New Contributor

I am setting up the data to create a locator. In many places street names, such as, Main Street are common place. In the past, the street name and place name would be used. Now, the Counties have changed this by adding the place name before the street name and not use place name (see table for an example):

Street namePlace Name
Main StreetZurich
Zurich Main Street 

I work with both addresses as both scenarios are being used in practise. I am interested to hear what the best workflow is; Use in the main table Main Street and use the place name  (Zurich) as the primary key, and in the alternate table have included "Zurich Main Street". In this scenario: would this primary key (place name) also be applied when going through the alternate tables? If this would be the case, then there will be no match when using the geocoder.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@RenatevanDorp Can you provide an example of the full input for what will be geocoded and what you expect to be returned? Is it only the street name and place (city, town, neighborhood, subregion)? There are alternate name table roles , which role would you be using? Alternate Street Name? Alternate City Name?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/fundamentals-of-alternate-name-tables.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@RenatevanDorp Can you provide an example of the full input for what will be geocoded and what you expect to be returned? Is it only the street name and place (city, town, neighborhood, subregion)? There are alternate name table roles , which role would you be using? Alternate Street Name? Alternate City Name?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/fundamentals-of-alternate-name-tables.htm

0 Kudos
RenatevanDorp
New Contributor

I have some addresses that I am trying to figure out what category they belong in. Addresses, such as:

Main Street South: Streetname = Main; Street Type= Street; Dir= South are easy.

Line 89: Prefix type=Line ; Streetname =89

Perth Line 86: Prefix type= Line: Streetname= Perth 86? Is the way to include it to create a locator? Any suggestions are appreciated.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

What country are you creating the locator for? Is "Perth Line 86" like a highway?        

0 Kudos
RenatevanDorp
New Contributor
I am creating a local locator. The road is located in Canada. It is a local County road. Perth County naming convention of rural roads is to first name the road/line followed by the road/line number (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbered_roads_in_Perth_County)
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@RenatevanDorp You may want to try using "Perth Line 86" as the street name in the data. Do you have multiple Perth Line county roads in your data?   Were you not getting good results previously?

0 Kudos