Saving a toolbox from 10.4 to 10.3

04-19-2016 03:20 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

All,

I want to confirm with the user community that I have found a bug or is it some behaviour I have misunderstood? I have upgraded to 10.4. I have a toolbox created in 10.4 with a single script tool. So I have wired up a python script and exposed it as a tool and everything runs fine. If I choose Save As and save the toolbox to 10.3 (or any other earlier version) it creates a toolbox but it does not show the script tool inside. According to Windows Explorer the tbx files are exactly the same size as shown below:

Capture.PNG

Is there a bug in 10.4 that is not allowing it to save backwardly? If so this is show stopper as no one can share anything!

Interestingly if the toolbox includes a model then I can view that in a earlier version but not a script tool.

The official help file page "Saving toolboxes to earlier versions" gives no indication that script tools are treated differently so this is why I wonder if it is bug?

Duncan

21 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Just been re-reading this thread and absorbing the implications of the official bug that Curtis Price‌ was able to report. What I realised is that it specifically mentions the bug is for models with specific tools. My problem (and Holisticbynature) of disappearing tools when saving a copy of the toolbox is occurring for script tools. So not sure this bug applies to this scenario?

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Duncan, 

This was similar to my problem. I will say when I back saved the same toolboxes in ArcGIS Pro, I don't recall having the same issue anymore. Additionally, changing the names of some of scripting tools did cause some of them to appear in the backed saved Toolbox. It might apply because I am not sure I had the same model structure or used the same tools (overlay etc) that are mentioned here. 

David

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos