Saving a toolbox from 10.4 to 10.3

04-19-2016 03:20 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

All,

I want to confirm with the user community that I have found a bug or is it some behaviour I have misunderstood? I have upgraded to 10.4. I have a toolbox created in 10.4 with a single script tool. So I have wired up a python script and exposed it as a tool and everything runs fine. If I choose Save As and save the toolbox to 10.3 (or any other earlier version) it creates a toolbox but it does not show the script tool inside. According to Windows Explorer the tbx files are exactly the same size as shown below:

Capture.PNG

Is there a bug in 10.4 that is not allowing it to save backwardly? If so this is show stopper as no one can share anything!

Interestingly if the toolbox includes a model then I can view that in a earlier version but not a script tool.

The official help file page "Saving toolboxes to earlier versions" gives no indication that script tools are treated differently so this is why I wonder if it is bug?

Duncan

21 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So I take it, you have embedded the script in the 10.4 toolbox and then trying to save it to a previous version.

So, saving toolbox in a previous version isn't carrying the script over?

Embedding scripts and password protecting tools—Sharing geoprocessing workflows | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Dan,

No the script is not embedded it's external. I have just tried to embed the script and Save As a 10.3 toolbox and this still does not work. I get a toolbox with nothing more than my model, I see no Script Tool.

Duncan

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I just did it in 10.3.1 and save back to 10.2 and the toolboxes are the exact same size as well.  I keep my scripts relative to the location of the toolbox either in a folder beneath or in the same folder as the toolbox. So if you script isn't showing and you have the same setup, then it is a bug.  The first is for 10.3.1 and the second is for 10.2 even though the toolbox labels are the same, since I didn't want to relabel it.

Bounding_Containers_021.png

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I can confirm that the paths are relative and the script is in a sub-folder called scripts, you can see it in the image in my original post. So it sounds very much like a bug in 10.4

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And your script doesn't show as in my example, when it is loaded back into arctoolbox??? That is what I was showing, not a catalog view, but what it should look like in toolbox.  And you can run and older version in the newer, just no the other way around.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Yeah older 10.3 script tools in their toolboxes are all visible and can be executed in 10.4. When I Save As from 10.4 to 10.3 I cannot see them, I see no classic script icon in the toolbox when viewed in Catalog panel, despite the toolbox being exactly the same size when I check it in Windows Explorer.

I have fired this off as a bug to ESRI UK.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

With some help from ESRI UK I've come to the conclusion that this problem is not with 10.4 but some corruption of the toolbox which is causing problems when I Save As. How, when, why, who and what has corrupted it I don't know but I can confirm that if I create a new toolbox in 10.4 and then save to an earlier version I can see the script tool.

I would have deleted this thread but it seems I cannot do this.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

knowing something that is not a bug is as important as knowing something is

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Very Zen!