Select to view content in your preferred language

PythonWin

01-25-2010 12:18 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
So, I just installed PythonWin.  It installed correctly, but did not place the Icon in the Python directory on the Start menu.  I can launch it successfully from the folder path C:\Python26\ArcGIS9.4\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin, but still it would be nice, and I presume an expectation by PythonWin users to see the icon in the Start menu.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JasonScheirer
Regular Contributor II
Is it under the ArcGIS 9.4's Python menu entry?
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Its not on the Start menu, under ArcGIS 94/python26.  It successfully installed, and it can be run, just not from the Start menu.
0 Kudos
KimOllivier
Regular Contributor II
I have an icon on the start menu at Programs>Python 2.6>Pythonwin. Of course I had to hack the Explorer filetypes to set the edit paths properly for .py files, but I have to do that in every training course since 9.1 for all the students.

I am still annoyed at the install hijacking the Python 2.6 install directory with another level under C:\Python26\ArcGIS9.4\ .  Yuck! a full stop in a directory path? How non-standard is that?

This apparently does not happen if Python 2.6 is already installed, so perhaps Python should be installed before ArcGIS, as a prerequisite just like .NET. Then apparently we get ArcGIS to respect the normal structure. I will give it a try to see if I can defeat the odd behaviour at Beta 2 by installing Python again first.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
I have an icon on the start menu at Programs>Python 2.6>Pythonwin. Of course I had to hack the Explorer filetypes to set the edit paths properly for .py files, but I have to do that in every training course since 9.1 for all the students.

I am still annoyed at the install hijacking the Python 2.6 install directory with another level under C:\Python26\ArcGIS9.4\ .  Yuck! a full stop in a directory path? How non-standard is that?

This apparently does not happen if Python 2.6 is already installed, so perhaps Python should be installed before ArcGIS, as a prerequisite just like .NET. Then apparently we get ArcGIS to respect the normal structure. I will give it a try to see if I can defeat the odd behaviour at Beta 2 by installing Python again first.

Kim -

Have you tried installing when there is a 2.6.2 install present, by chance.  I agree 100%, it is a pain in the ass, that it is setup this way, I have a machine that had all my other non esri modules, packages, and it caused a lot of havoc.
0 Kudos
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor
There is an enhancement logged in our system to add PythonWin shortcuts to the Start Menu. For your records, the tracking number is NIM053578.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Thank you Jeff
0 Kudos